This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.4742 / 53°28'27"N
Longitude: -2.2511 / 2°15'3"W
OS Eastings: 383430
OS Northings: 397525
OS Grid: SJ834975
Mapcode National: GBR DHK.8L
Mapcode Global: WHB9G.DX8Z
Entry Name: Deansgate Station
Listing Date: 20 August 1998
Last Amended: 11 January 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1376146
English Heritage Legacy ID: 470138
Location: Manchester, M3
Electoral Ward/Division: City Centre
Built-Up Area: Manchester
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Manchester St Ann
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
WHITWORTH STREET WEST
Railway station. Dated 1896. Built of red brick with blue brick bands and stone and terracotta dressings, slate roof almost entirely hidden from the street. On a very angular site with the entrance at the sharply curved corner. Two stories in a Baronial style. Paired entrances on the corner with terracotta surround, pointed arch doorways with mock portcullises, gabled heads on colonettes, paired between the doors. Blue brick base with stone banding, band at first floor cill level, machicolated band at eaves level, parapet stepped up and down as mock battlements. Shield with date 1896 and stone scroll carved with the original name KNOTT MILL STATION. The first floor has a paired window over the doors and single ones on either side, all 1-over-1 plate-glass sashes with carved stone heads. A turret pilaster frames this central feature on either side. The left return has a single and a tripartite cross-framed casement below and similar 2-over-2 sashes above. The right return has two original framed shopfronts with later windows, and sashes above as before.
INTERIOR: Opened as Knott Mill in 1849 on the Manchester South Junction and Altrincham Railway. The line was owned jointly by the London and North Western Railway and the Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway from the start of operations. This was one of the first truly suburban railways and was instrumental in the development of its hinterland. It was rebuilt at street level in 1896 by Robert Neill and Son at the cost of £2,000. The line was electrified in 1931 and the station was renamed Deansgate in 1974. Reference: Gordon Biddle, Victorian Stations, 1978, p.198.
Listing NGR: SJ8343097525
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings