This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.9717 / 51°58'17"N
Longitude: 1.3678 / 1°22'4"E
OS Eastings: 631421
OS Northings: 235712
OS Grid: TM314357
Mapcode National: GBR WRS.BNM
Mapcode Global: VHLC9.NPHW
Entry Name: Church of St Peter and St Paul
Listing Date: 21 June 1949
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1377364
English Heritage Legacy ID: 286246
Location: Felixstowe, Suffolk Coastal, Suffolk, IP11
District: Suffolk Coastal
Civil Parish: Felixstowe
Built-Up Area: Felixstowe
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Felixstowe St Peter and St Paul with St Andrew and St Nicholas
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
FELIXSTOWE CHURCH ROAD
TM 33 NW
2/2 Church of St Peter and
Parish church. C14, possibly incorporating earlier work, much altered and
restored 1871-2. Septaria,flint, brick, tile,stone dressings, plaintile roofs.
West tower, nave, south porch, north and south transepts, apsidal chancel.
Truncated tower. C14 or earlier restored 1795. Septaria, brick, stone, tile,
pyramidal tile roof. Moulded C14 west doorway. West window renewed in C14
style. Nave of septaria, the south wall rendered. C14 north doorway beneath
hood mould with label stops. To west, C14 window, tracery missing.
Perpendicular window 1908-9. South doorway C14, with simple moulded arch
beneath hood mould with label stops. South porch late C14 or early C15, brick
with stone dressings. Moulded outer arch beneath hood mould. Above, cinque-
foil headed niche beneath rectangular hood mould; spandrels contain shields
carved with Cross of St Andrew and Keys of St Peter. Border of fleurons.
Perpendicular nave window 1908-9. Transepts and chancel rebuilt 1870's in
late C13 and early C14 styles. Herringbone brickwork reused from Martello
towers, stone dressings. North and south windows of 3 lights beneath encircled
cinque-foil, and below spherical triangle with trefoil. Trefoil headed lancets
to chancel. Interior: Tower arch c.1300. 4-bay mediaeval nave roof probably
survives above C19 plastered ceiling, C15 moulded wall plate and tie beams,
some original. C15 sanctuary piscina with cinque-foil head, octofoil drain.
Poppyhead benches, C15 with traceried panels, mutilated animal figures, reset
in chancel. Octagonal font, C15, partly recut C19. Carved wooden pulpit,
early C17, probably part of a triple decker, set on fragment of early C14 column.
Wooden lectern C18. Poor box C16.
Listing NGR: TM3142135712
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings