This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4739 / 51°28'25"N
Longitude: -0.0911 / 0°5'27"W
OS Eastings: 532674
OS Northings: 176716
OS Grid: TQ326767
Mapcode National: GBR RT.PT
Mapcode Global: VHGR6.C6QZ
Plus Code: 9C3XFWF5+GH
Entry Name: Camberwell Police Station and Attached Lamp Bracket
Listing Date: 17 September 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1378397
English Heritage Legacy ID: 470698
Location: Southwark, London, SE5
Electoral Ward/Division: Camberwell Green
Built-Up Area: Southwark
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Camberwell St Giles with St Matthew
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
TQ3276 CAMBERWELL CHURCH STREET
636-1/11/125 (South side)
Camberwell Police station and
attached lamp bracket
Metropolitan police station. Dated 1898. By John Dixon Butler.
Red brick in Flemish bond with stone dressings; dark red brick
plinth to ground floor. Roof of tile. Arts and Crafts Free
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys. stepping up to 3, over basement. 6-window
range. All openings are flat-arched, most with sashes and
doors of original design. Elevation designed with deliberate
asymmetry. The entrance just to the left of the centre; with
overlight; set in aedicule consisting of quoined jambs topped
by scroll brackets which support a semicircular pediment which
dies into a short cornice along the front wall. Ground floor
banded in stone and brick.
Single window to left of entrance with eared architrave; to
right a triple, transomed window treated as a shallow
segmental bay, each light divided by stone mullions, the whole
set in an elliptical-arched recess. The arch, which has a
scalloped chamfer, is banded, the keystone treated as a scroll
pediment intersecting the moulded sill band to 1st floor.
Left-hand of design finishes as a low wing of 2 windows, with
parapet; the right-hand ranges rise to a 2nd storey which
finishes in a facing gable, the left return of this inset
repeats materials of effects of the main elevation.
The 1st-floor windows in the gable facing range are closely
paired, each with eared and shouldered architraves. Sill band
to 2nd-floor windows with brick and stone bands linking heads
and lintels; gable pierced by long light slit, stopping just
within stone peak; gable coping is moulded. High moulded
stacks to party walls and at join of gable facing roof with
Projecting from the plain tympanum over the entrance is a
metal floral bracket supporting a lamp of Windsor type with
crown top. Rainwater heads at party walls have date in Gothic
script, "1898". On the left jamb of the door, initials "MP"
and the date.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
Other nearby listed buildings