This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.3931 / 51°23'35"N
Longitude: 0.5277 / 0°31'39"E
OS Eastings: 575951
OS Northings: 169034
OS Grid: TQ759690
Mapcode National: GBR PPP.N6P
Mapcode Global: VHJLV.379X
Plus Code: 9F329GVH+63
Entry Name: Sail Loft
Listing Date: 13 August 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1378586
English Heritage Legacy ID: 476539
Location: Medway, ME4
Electoral Ward/Division: River
Built-Up Area: Gillingham
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Church of England Parish: Gillingham St Mark
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
TQ 76 NE CHATHAM CHURCH LANE
Sail loft. c1723, rendered C19. Rendered brick with lateral stacks and a hipped shallow mansard roof with slates. PLAN: rectangular plan with S stair and offices.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys and attic; 19-bay range. A long symmetrical range has projecting end and central 3-bay sections, and a stepped frieze to overhanging eaves. Windows have segmental-arched heads and arched label moulds to 616-pane sashes some with thick early C18 glazing bars, with wider ones to the lower floor of the ends and to the middle of the 3 intervening sections with tripartite sashes. Matching rear elevation. 3-window S end has steps up to a central first floor segmental-arched doorway with half-glazed double doors, and windows as the front.
INTERIOR: former ships timbers from a C17 ship provide posts on the ground-floor, evidence of the Navy Board's instructions to "make use of old timbers from ships being took down". The first floor has C19 Y-shaped side braces added to the main floor beams which are cogged re-used timbers, the open second floor is reinforced with timber posts carried up the sides to the roof, which has early C18 queen post collar trusses, and sections of ridge lantern. S end has offices with flush 4-panel doors either side of a wide central axial stair from the end doorway, a settle on the second-floor landing and a lateral stair to the attic.
HISTORY: planned (but not completed) as a courtyard with rear wings, and crenellated parapet in the manner of the Officer's Terrace (qv). Used for making sails on the open top floor, and storing sails and flags below, for which the internal frame was an early example of an uninterrupted work space. The oldest surviving sail loft in a Royal dockyard, and a rare survival of a little-altered industrial building of this date.
With the nearby Officers' Terrace and Commissioner's House (qqv), part of the early C18 rebuilding of the dockyard, and one of a fine group of Georgian naval dockyard buildings.
(Sources: Coad J: Historic Architecture of Chatham Dockyard 1700-1850: London: 1982: 147 ; Coad J: Historic Architecture of the Royal Navy: London: 1983: 67; Coad J: The Royal Dockyards 1690-1850: Aldershot: 1989: 162-165).
Listing NGR: TQ7595169034
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings