This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.3934 / 51°23'36"N
Longitude: 0.5276 / 0°31'39"E
OS Eastings: 575943
OS Northings: 169075
OS Grid: TQ759690
Mapcode National: GBR PPP.G7N
Mapcode Global: VHJLV.378M
Entry Name: Former Cashiers Office
Listing Date: 24 May 1971
Last Amended: 21 November 1996
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1268222
English Heritage Legacy ID: 462080
Location: Medway, ME4
Electoral Ward/Division: River
Built-Up Area: Gillingham
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Church of England Parish: Gillingham St Mark
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
TQ 76 NE CHATHAM CHURCH LANE
(West side) Chatham Dockyard
Former Cashier's Office
Cashier's office. Late C18, extended at Wend c1808 by Edward Holl, architect for the Navy
Board. Red brick with patterned brick jambs to upper windows and stone dressings, brick rear lateral stacks, and hipped slate roof. Mid Georgian style.
PLAN: single-depth axial 4-room plan. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys; 12-window range. A long parapeted range has a plinth and broad pilasters to the ends, 2 doorways 1 and 5 bays from the right, with rusticated pilasters to a triglyph frieze and modillion cornice, and doors with 8 raised panels half glazed, the right-hand one set in an elliptical-arched recess with imposts. Segmental-arched windows with shallow-recessed 6/6-pane sashes. Blind rear elevation includes a French window with raised surround and cornice to the N end. 2-window returns, that to the S end with step up to an inserted doorway. A lower single storey; 5:7-window range extends from the N end, in 2 sections, with a parapet ramped up to the S end. Rubbed red brick arches over 4 doors and 6/6-pane sashes as the main range. INTERIOR: a rear late C19 stair against the wall to a large formerly open first floor, with rear plain stone fire surrounds. Stair case has been moved from its original position at the Wend. HISTORY: John Dickens, Charles' father worked in these offices between 1817 and 1823, when the building contained the Navy Pay Office on the first floor. The lower Wend was built for offices for the Commissioner and his staff, first floor clerk's office, and a waiting lobby at the E end. The presence of specialist pay offices reflects the size and complexity of the dockyards in the C18. Occupies a prominent position in this complete Georgian dockyard.
(Sources: Coad J: Historic Architecture of Chatham Dockyard 1700-1850: London: 1982: 173 ; Coad J: The Royal Dockyards 1690-1850: Aldershot: 1989: 48 ; MacDougal1 P: The Chatham Dockyard Story: Rainham: 1987: 102, 166).
Listing NGR: TQ7594369074
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings