This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5271 / 51°31'37"N
Longitude: -0.1148 / 0°6'53"W
OS Eastings: 530873
OS Northings: 182594
OS Grid: TQ308825
Mapcode National: GBR L6.CR
Mapcode Global: VHGQS.YWN6
Entry Name: Numbers 45-63 and Attached Railings
Listing Date: 22 January 1973
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1379256
English Heritage Legacy ID: 478624
Location: Camden, London, WC1X
Electoral Ward/Division: King's Cross
Built-Up Area: Camden
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St George Queen Square
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ3082NE KINGS CROSS ROAD
798-1/91/991 (West side)
22/01/73 Nos.45-63 (Odd)
and attached railings
Terrace of 10 houses.
No.45: early C19. Stucco with rusticated ground floor. 3
storeys and basement. 1 window. Segmental arched doorway with
splayed reveals, cornice-head, fanlight and panelled door.
Pilasters rise through 1st and 2nd floors carrying
entablature. Recessed sash windows; 1st floor round-arched,
architraved with fan decoration in the tympanum and cast-iron
balcony. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached cast-iron railings with
spearhead finials to areas.
Nos 47-59: early C19, altered. Yellow stock brick with
rusticated stucco ground floors and plain stucco 1st floor
sill bands. 3 storeys and basements. 2 windows each. Segmental
arched doorways with splayed reveals, panelled jambs,
cornice-heads, fanlights and panelled doors. Gauged brick flat
arches to recessed sashes; 1st floor with cast-iron balconies.
Cement cornice and blocking course. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES:
attached cast-iron railings with spearhead finials.
Nos 61 & 63: mid C19. Yellow stock brick; parapet rebuilt in
multi-coloured stocks. Plain stucco band at ground floor
level. 3 storeys and basements. 2 windows each, No.63 with 1
window right hand extension. Round-arched doorways with
fanlights and panelled doors. Gauged red brick flat arches to
recessed sashes. Set into the wall, a carved mask keystone and
plaque inscribed: S + P THIS IS BAGNIGGE HOVSE NEARE THE
PINDER A WAKEFEILDE 1680. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached
cast-iron railings to areas.
INTERIORS: not inspected.
HISTORICAL NOTE: this was the site of Bagnigge Wells, watering
place and pleasure garden founded 1759 by Thomas Hughes. The
houses are on the site of the Long Room where concerts were
held. The inscription, refixed, may be derived from an earlier
house on the site of the spa. Nos 45-59 were probably
developed when the spa was reduced in size in 1813. Nos 61 and
63 were probably built when the spa was closed in 1841.
(Survey of London: Vol. XXIV, King's Cross Neighbourhood,
Parish of St Pancras IV: London: -1952: 66-68).
Listing NGR: TQ3087382594
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings