This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5231 / 51°31'23"N
Longitude: -0.119 / 0°7'8"W
OS Eastings: 530593
OS Northings: 182142
OS Grid: TQ305821
Mapcode National: GBR K8.F5
Mapcode Global: VHGQS.WZG8
Entry Name: Lamb Public House
Listing Date: 2 August 1973
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1379276
English Heritage Legacy ID: 478644
Location: Camden, London, WC1N
Electoral Ward/Division: Holborn and Covent Garden
Built-Up Area: Camden
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St George Queen Square
Church of England Diocese: London
LAMB'S CONDUIT STREET (East side)
No.94, Lamb Public House
Public house. First mentioned in 1731 but front of building probably mid or late-Georgian or later. Yellow stock brick, slate roof.
Four storeys and cellars. Four windows wide with splayed angle at north end bearing parish boundary marker dated 1831. Upper storeys Georgian, ground-storey in form of pub front basically Victorian but with Edwardian faience tiling added in two shades of green. Painted fascia with the legends 'The Lamb' and 'Wine and Spirit Establishment'. Good hanging iron lamp bracket with lantern attached at first-floor level. Rear much extended.
INTERIOR of pub with match-board walls and ceiling. One main area with fixed seating round perimeter and U-shaped bar in centre retaining snob screens with moveable glass panels and engaged with four thin cast-iron columns having palmette capitals. Two similar columns behind front help support upper portions of front. Staircase at rear of building part of 1958 refurbishment of public house, when partitions formerly dividing the front area into two private bars were removed. The lobby partitions were inserted at this time. What remains is an exceptional piece of 'Victoriana', where the real late C19 interior was enhanced by the restoration. Some snob screens are original, others part of this restoration. Partitioned area at rear of right-hand bar with late C19 partitions; this was originally the pub's office.
Listing NGR: TQ3061282134
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings