History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Souls

A Grade II Listed Building in Swiss Cottage, Camden

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5406 / 51°32'26"N

Longitude: -0.1785 / 0°10'42"W

OS Eastings: 526417

OS Northings: 183983

OS Grid: TQ264839

Mapcode National: GBR 41.3X

Mapcode Global: VHGQR.VJHT

Plus Code: 9C3XGRRC+6H

Entry Name: Church of All Souls

Listing Date: 23 September 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1379350

English Heritage Legacy ID: 478729

Location: Swiss Cottage, Camden, London, NW8

County: Camden

Electoral Ward/Division: Swiss Cottage

Built-Up Area: Camden

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: Kilburn St Mary

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Hampstead

Description


CAMDEN

TQ2683NW LOUDOUN ROAD
798-1/71/1076 (East side)
23/09/86 Church of All Souls

II

Church, now redundant. 1864-65 by Wadmore and Baker with
additions of 1905 by Nicholson and Corlette, including
heightening of south aisle, west tower, central fleche and
fittings. Yellow stock brick with red brick bands and
dressings. Steeply pitched slate roofs; pantiles to tower.
Aisled nave without clerestory. Apsidal chancel. Western tower
with saddleback roof, paired round-arched bell louvres and
paired 2-light Y-tracery windows. North-western baptistry with
blind round-arched arcade beneath corbelled eaves and 3
lancets below. Lancets to north aisle; south aisle with
2-light geometrical windows. Spired fleche at junction of nave
and chancel, slate hung with lead covered corner pinnacles and
Gothic patterned lead work to louvres.
INTERIOR: not inspected but noted to have pointed arcade
arches in polychrome brick work with carved capitals. Good mid
Victorian stained glass and later fittings.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the instigator of the building was Henry
Wadmore, brother of the architect, and the first vicar until
1897. The church became redundant in 1985.

Listing NGR: TQ2641783983

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.