This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5527 / 51°33'9"N
Longitude: -0.1925 / 0°11'33"W
OS Eastings: 525413
OS Northings: 185301
OS Grid: TQ254853
Mapcode National: GBR C5.XV8
Mapcode Global: VHGQR.M72K
Entry Name: Emmanuel Church
Listing Date: 11 January 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1379387
English Heritage Legacy ID: 478766
Location: Camden, London, NW6
Electoral Ward/Division: Fortune Green
Built-Up Area: Camden
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Emmanuel Hampstead
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ2585SW LYNCROFT GARDENS
798-1/35/1837 (South East side)
Anglican church. 1897-8, chancel and first 4 bays; 1903 west
end completed. Only ground and first floor of tower built. R
Whitfield and JA Thomas, architects. Red brick with stone
dressing. Tiled roof.
PLAN: Basilican plan with north and south lean-to aisles of 5
bays, apsidal east end. 'Salisbury' chapel at south-east
corner. Entrance through north porch fronting Lyncroft Gardens
(originally base of tower). Clerestory chancel lower than
EXTERIOR: 5 bays divided by brick buttresses. Paired Early
English lights in each bay in clerestory, with brick moulding
and brick dentilled cornice above. Aisles have 3-light lancets
with brick moulding and brick dentilled cornice above. Narthex
at west end with small apsidal chapel with separate roof.
3-light window with brick mouldings on western apse with brick
dentilled cornice above. 5-light lancet window at east end;
group of three flanked by single lancets at west end.
INTERIOR: white brick with bands of red brick. Tall 5-bay nave
with aisles. Arcades of pointed arches on clustered columns.
Arcade at west end divides nave from narthex. Barrel-vaulted
open timber roof. Paired lancet windows in clerestory; aisle
windows 3-light lancets, plain glazed. Chancel with reredos
depicting Last Supper designed 1908 by JA Thomas. Carved oak
pulpit 1901 by Thomas. Organ built 1910 by JW Walker and Sons.
Mosaic floor. 3 windows at east end depicting scenes from the
Life of Jesus 1903. Brass eagle lectern 1898. West end has
baptistry in apse: Gothic Revival stone font resting on marble
colonnettes (1898). Oak cover 1902. Stained glass of 1904
depicts subjects connected with the Baptismal service.
Includes window given by the architect of the church JA Thomas
in memory of his partner, R Whitfield d.1901. Salisbury Chapel
furnished in 1952 by painter Frank Salisbury.
Listing NGR: TQ2541385301
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings