History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

No. 1 Argyle Road

A Grade II Listed Building in Southport, Sefton

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.6588 / 53°39'31"N

Longitude: -2.9878 / 2°59'15"W

OS Eastings: 334820

OS Northings: 418485

OS Grid: SD348184

Mapcode National: GBR 7VK4.Y5

Mapcode Global: WH862.29JG

Plus Code: 9C5VM256+GV

Entry Name: No. 1 Argyle Road

Listing Date: 28 September 1998

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1379469

English Heritage Legacy ID: 478856

Location: Sefton, PR9

County: Sefton

Electoral Ward/Division: Cambridge

Built-Up Area: Southport

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Merseyside

Church of England Parish: Southport All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Liverpool

Find accommodation in
Southport

Description

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 22/10/2015


SD31NW
664-1/1/304

SOUTHPORT,
ARGYLE ROAD,
No.1

(Formerly listed as Evangelical Pentecostal Church, No. 1 ARGYLE ROAD)


28/09/98

II

Large house. Built between 1881 and 1885 in Italianate style,
early-mid C20 additions and alterations. Red brick in Flemish
bond, painted stone dressings, hipped slate roof, end stacks,
deep bracketed eaves.


EXTERIOR: 2 storeys with raised ground floor over basement,
and attics; 3 bays, square plan, the main rooms grouped around
the central stair hall; single-storey scullery and added
single-storey church meeting room to rear.
Facade: stone steps up to pillared central porch, panelled
double doors. 5-light deep bow window left, 2-light square bay
window right. The upper floor windows arranged 2:1:2; plate
glass sashes throughout. Rear: single-storey added bay
projects on right; large central 2x3 light stair window with
bathroom window of c1930 left and original paired sash windows
right. Small 4-pane sash in eaves dormer and chimney left of
centre. Left and right returns: shallow projecting chimney
stacks, added glazed corridor left, basement windows right.


INTERIOR: a glazed, carved wooden screen divides the lobby
from the entrance hall which has an original fireplace and
straight flight of stone stairs with mahogany balustrade and
brass torchere. The living and service rooms open off the
hall, and the half-landing is lit by the 6-light coloured
glass window. The upper floor also has a heated landing area
and a doorway on the left at the top of the stairs opens onto
the service staircase with access to ground floor scullery/
kitchen and up to attic bedrooms. The vaulted cellar is
reached from a flight of stone stairs behind the main
staircase.
The house contains fine late C19 and early C20 original
decoration in the 3 principal rooms on ground and first floors
(a fourth first floor room was not seen). It includes: painted
and gilded Classical-style moulded plaster ceiling cornices,
friezes and roses, ornate chimneypieces of carved wood and
polished stone with mirrored overmantels; panelled doors, some
decorated with stencilled Classical or Arts and Crafts motifs
and with original door furniture; silvered curtain rails and
door fittings in the ground floor reception room front left;
coloured glass in leaded lights in doors, stair window and
catch-lights; wallpaper in oriental and William Morris styles.
Important fittings include ornate brass Art Nouveau
electroliers in ground and first floor rooms; furniture made
by James Lamb of Manchester; original fitted carpets. The
first-floor bathroom was built in the service area of the
house in c1930 and is tiled throughout in white, with grey,
pink and black Greek-style decoration. Earlier tiling is
obscured by the 1950s kitchen fittings in the rear kitchen/
scullery wing on the ground floor which is reported to be
built over a large water storage tank. The ground floor room
rear left was extended as a church meeting room in the 1950s.
The deep moulded ceiling cornice was replicated in the
4-window extension.


HISTORY: the house was built shortly after 1881 and by 1886 it
was occupied by Guy Fernandes, a brewer who was born in
Sandal. On the death of Mary Ellen Fernandes in 1950 it became
the property of Nora Helen Bradburn, her companion. The house
was sold to Frederick George Cloke of the Evangelical Church in
1952. In 2007 permission was given to convert the building into flats.
(Directories of Sandal; 1891 Census; Conveyance 05/12/1952).


Listing NGR: SD3482018485

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.