History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary by the Sea

A Grade II Listed Building in East Marsh, North East Lincolnshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.5678 / 53°34'4"N

Longitude: -0.0707 / 0°4'14"W

OS Eastings: 527862

OS Northings: 409644

OS Grid: TA278096

Mapcode National: GBR WWY5.HR

Mapcode Global: WHHHS.WLH5

Plus Code: 9C5XHW9H+4P

Entry Name: Church of St Mary by the Sea

Listing Date: 30 June 1999

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1379849

English Heritage Legacy ID: 479283

Location: North East Lincolnshire, DN32

County: North East Lincolnshire

Electoral Ward/Division: East Marsh

Built-Up Area: Grimsby

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Great Grimsby St Andrew with St Luke and All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Cleethorpes

Description


GRIMSBY

TA2709NE HENEAGE ROAD
699-1/18/37 (East side)
Church of St Mary by the Sea

GV II

Roman Catholic church. 1879-83 by ME and C Hadfield of
Sheffield; altar of the Sacred Heart by Pugin and Pugin. Red
brick in English garden wall bond with ashlar dressings. Welsh
slate roof.
STYLE: Gothic Revival.
PLAN: 4-bay aisled nave with west entrance and north chapel;
3-bay chancel with vestry to south.
EXTERIOR: plinth, buttresses with offsets to angles and
between bays; sill string course; moulded, stepped and
dentilled brick eaves cornice throughout.
Nave: 3-light pointed trefoiled north and south windows. South
side has a pair of stone-coped ground-floor canted bays for
confession boxes. West end has central section flanked by
buttresses, gabled surround to entrance with pointed moulded
arch dying into jambs, niche above containing statue of Virgin
and Child, string course stepped above entrance, pointed
5-light window with Geometric tracery. Coped nave gable with
flush ashlar bands and slit-light. Nave north chapel has
chamfered ashlar plinth, canted east side with central 2-light
pointed traceried window flanked by trefoiled lancets beneath
hoodmould, pointed trefoiled 3-light north window beneath
hoodmould.
Chancel: moulded ashlar plinth, pairs of trefoiled lancets to
north and south sides with continuous hoodmould and flush
ashlar bands; east end with angle buttresses and central
buttress beneath 5-light window with hoodmould and flush
ashlar bands; coped gable with finial. South side of chancel
has foundation stone with Latin inscription dated 1880 and
1883, recording architect.
South vestry, adjoining Presbytery (qv) has trefoiled 2-light
windows, ovolo-moulded eaves cornice. Projecting 2-storey
single-bay gabled organ chamber to south of chancel has a pair
of lancets and, beside it, a stepped coped gable rising to a
roof-chimney with a pair of octagonal shafts. Octagonal
spirelet between nave and chancel with banded slates.
INTERIOR: nave arcades of tall pointed double-chamfered arches
on alternating cylindrical and octagonal piers with moulded
capitals and bases on tall octagonal plinths. Pointed moulded
chancel arch with octagonal responds. Chancel has pointed
arched south doorway with blocked arch and balcony above;

marble and wrought-iron sanctuary rails, marble altar and
reredos flanked by blind arcaded panels containing piscina and
aumbry; wooden wall panelling and carved floral frieze;
pointed arched south doorway with blocked arch and balcony
above; ornately-carved choir stalls.
Nave has gallery with ornate front carried on octagonal wooden
columns with tall stone bases; columned west organ gallery.
Marble and wrought-iron pulpit with tester and balustraded
staircase. Arch-braced nave and chancel roofs, the latter with
painted panels.
North chapel has elaborately sculpted stone altar and reredos
with marble columns, demi-figures of Christ and saints in
canopied niches, traceried panels with marble insets, stained
glass windows above. 2 inscribed tablets in chapel, one
recording the raising of the altar by Georgina Heneage and its
dedication in 1887, the other an ornate memorial to Thomas
Young of Kingerby, Lincs, benefactor of this church and of
"many churches throughout the Shire".
One of the last churches by the partnership of Hadfield and
Son. Together with the neighbouring Presbytery and its
associated garden walls (qv), forms part of a notable group of
Victorian and Edwardian educational and religious buildings
built on land provided by the Heneage Estate.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N, Harris J, and Antram N:
Lincolnshire: London: 1989-: 339; Grimsby - Action for
Conservation: Grimsby Borough Planning Department: List of
buildings of local architectural or historical interest:
Grimsby Borough Council: 1972-: NO.103; Ambler RW: Great
Grimsby Fishing Heritage: a brief for a trail: Grimsby Borough
Council: 1990-: 48).


Listing NGR: TA2786209644

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.