History in Structure

Jewish Synagogue at former Carmel College

A Grade II Listed Building in Crowmarsh, Oxfordshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.5854 / 51°35'7"N

Longitude: -1.1216 / 1°7'17"W

OS Eastings: 460953

OS Northings: 187764

OS Grid: SU609877

Mapcode National: GBR 917.K7H

Mapcode Global: VHCYP.HDWY

Plus Code: 9C3WHVPH+58

Entry Name: Jewish Synagogue at former Carmel College

Listing Date: 9 December 1999

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1379943

English Heritage Legacy ID: 479401

ID on this website: 101379943

Location: Mongewell, South Oxfordshire, OX10

County: Oxfordshire

District: South Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Crowmarsh

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: North Stoke

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Tagged with: Synagogue

Find accommodation in


This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 03/05/2018

SU 68 NW

Jewish Synagogue at former Carmel College

(Formerly listed as Jewish Synagogue at Carmel College)

Synagogue. 1963 by Thomas Hancock; John Toovey assistant designer; Anthony Hunt engineer. Concrete block end walls; that to east end is elliptical and said to be six feet thick. With four timber posts, it supports a sweeping timber roof, upper covering not seen. Curtain wall glazing to sides and projecting entrance.

Rectangular plan dominated by the soaring roof structure, which gives asymmetry to the building. Synagogue is in higher part of the building to east; entrance hall to west has been subdivided to form two classrooms. Curtain wall glazing in aluminium frames, incorporating doors in similar style. West and east ends with glass by Nehemia Azaz, that to east in tall vertical corner strips and made in the dalle de verre technique of thick glass nuggets set directly into concrete. Sculpture of the Burning Bush also by Azaz at entrance to building, of wood with bronze flames.

Interior. The synagogue has an open timber roof, sounding board and cork floor. In the body of the east wall is the Ark, with panelled timber doors.

Carmel College was founded in 1948 by Rabbi Dr Kopul Rosen, moved to Mongewell in 1953 and closed in 1997. Hancock, a local architect, produced a masterplan for the college in 1960, but this was not adopted in full; the synagogue and the adjoining amphitheatre are the most central, prominent and coherent of the buildings-the most spectacular and successful' on the site, as the Buildings of England states. The flexible planning of the synagogue, its dramatic roof structure and brilliant and innovative artistic glass are comparable with synagogues found in Europe and the United States at this time.

Listing NGR: SU6095387764

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.