This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.5816 / 51°34'53"N
Longitude: -0.1693 / 0°10'9"W
OS Eastings: 526938
OS Northings: 188559
OS Grid: TQ269885
Mapcode National: GBR CZ.3YR
Mapcode Global: VHGQL.0HTW
Entry Name: Eliot House
Listing Date: 23 December 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1379956
English Heritage Legacy ID: 479421
Location: Barnet, London, N2
Electoral Ward/Division: Garden Suburb
Built-Up Area: Barnet
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Jude-on-the-Hill Hampstead Garden Suburb
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ 2688 THE BISHOP'S AVENUE
31/27/10360 Eliot House
House, and attached garden walls. 1925, dated on overthrow, by P.D. Hepworth for Charles Ryan. Formerly known as White Walls. Whitewashed brick, green-glazed pantile roofs, white painted shutters, originally turquoise. Symmetrical, set on axis of main gates. Five bays, breaking forward from recessed centre to form flanking wings. Two storeys and attics. Rusticated brick quoins, the uppermost quoin under the eaves in tiles, hipped and half-hipped roofs with plain over sailing eaves. Central entrance in round-headed eared architrave with pronounced keystone and swept base. Door of six fielded panels beneath fanlight. Above 4 x 4 pane sash with glazing bars between white painted shutters. Small-paned dormer casement in segmental-headed eared architrave with swept base. Behind, tall white painted stack with chamfered angles, staged base and moulded cap. Flanking bays have tall first floor 4 x 8 pane sash with glazing bars above small ground floor vent with lozenge grille under keystone. Outer wings under half-hipped roofs, at ground floor a 4 x 5 pane sash with glazing bars, above a similar 4 x 4 pane sash with glazing bars, both with shutters. Tall stack set laterally on each rear roof similarly treated to central stack. Rear elevation. Symmetrical apart from small ground floor extension to right angle, treated as the main house. Five bay central block of two storeys with attics under a swept hipped roof; set back, flanking two storey single bays. Central French window with small panes, part repaired, under segmental arch. Above, flat canopy carrying iron balustrade. Flanking full height sashes with glazing bars under segmental arches with keystone. First floor five 4 x 4 pane sashes with glazing bars with shutters, each above recessed brick apron. Three flat-roofed dormer casements with small panes. To left, ground floor 4 x 5 pane sash with glazing bars, above similar but of 4 x 4 panes. Right bay similarly treated but with ground floor pushed forward with large opening behind grille. Left return in two bays, with ground floor French windows treated as rear, above, two 4 x 4 pane sashes with glazing bars with shutters, between narrow 2 x 4 pane light. Right return, service end, possibly with renewed door and windows. Tripartite sashes with glazing bars to both storeys, part glazed door. Interior: Plan form largely intact, except for rear room broken through to extension. Simply treated with little ornament. Closed string stair with square newels and twisted balusters, all painted, oak rail. Doors with vertical panels, all said to be original except for exact copy to extension. Fireplaces removed. Attached screen walls and gate piers. Whitewashed brick. Thin stone coping. Square gate piers with moulded stone caps, some carrying urns. A. Trystan Edwards, some recent work of Philip Hepworth, 1931. Hampstead Garden Suburb Conservation Area, The Bishop's Avenue, Draft Character Appraisal Statement, L.B. Barnet, Oct. 1998.
Listing NGR: TQ2693888559
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings