This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4965 / 51°29'47"N
Longitude: -0.3051 / 0°18'18"W
OS Eastings: 517753
OS Northings: 178870
OS Grid: TQ177788
Mapcode National: GBR 73.KR8
Mapcode Global: VHGQW.NNK4
Plus Code: 9C3XFMWV+JX
Entry Name: Two Chapels at South Ealing Cemetery
Listing Date: 19 April 2000
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1380227
English Heritage Legacy ID: 479954
Location: Ealing, London, W5
Electoral Ward/Division: Northfield
Built-Up Area: Ealing
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Mary Ealing
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ17NE SOUTH EALING ROAD W5
19-APR-00 Two chapels at South Ealing Cemetery
Cemetery chapel, 1861 by Charles Jones. Ragstone, limestone dressings, slate roofs, some of fishcale banding. Symmetrical, set on main axis of cemetery. Central porte cochere, surmounted by clock and belfry, flanking chapels, to south Church of England with mortuary to rear, to north Nonconformist and Catholic. Tall buttressed arch with flush dressed stone head inscribed C.Jones Architect, hoodmould with foliate stops, chamfered arch mouldings dying away. Flanking two light windows in flush surrounds. Tall shallow shouldered belfry with cusped stone braces to bell chamber, above clock face set on dressed stone niche under hoodmould, and surmounted by iron cross. North and south three bay chapels aligned east to west. Traceried west windows, north chapel four- lights, the south chapel of three lights under flush stone arches. South chapel three acutely pointed south lancets,with stained glass, north chapel square headed windows with leaded lights, part top hung. East ends each a rose window with individual tracery, with two narrow blind lancets below. South chapel iron gable crosses, those to north missing. North mortuary entrance under hoodmould, small circular light above, two light north window. East porte cochere arch as that to west. Porte cochere lined in ragstone, the entrance passage to each chapel rendered. Roof diagonal close boarded. Broad north and south simple chamfered arch to passage to each chapel, two light window to east, that to south chapel blind. Pair of ledged and battened doors diagonally boarded with ornate strap hinges to each. Similar single door under shouldered arch to north and south vestries.
Interior. Each chapel has three bay cusped scissor brace roof with diagonal close boarded linings Foliate stops to corbels. Band of diagonally set headers. Vertically boarded dado to east and west ends and returns. Ledged and battened doors with diagonal boarding, single doors each under shouldered arch. South chapel, three tiers pews, braces echoing those of roof, three stained glass windows. South vestry vertical boarded linings to east. North vestry houses Gillett and Bland clock mechanism, dated 1877, modified to incorporate electronic trigger.
Cherry and Pevsner, London 3, North West, 1991, p168.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings