This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4968 / 51°29'48"N
Longitude: -0.3053 / 0°18'19"W
OS Eastings: 517737
OS Northings: 178903
OS Grid: TQ177789
Mapcode National: GBR 73.KNY
Mapcode Global: VHGQW.NMGX
Entry Name: Cemetery Lodge
Listing Date: 4 December 2002
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1096018
English Heritage Legacy ID: 489908
Location: Ealing, London, W5
Electoral Ward/Division: Northfield
Built-Up Area: Ealing
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Mary Ealing
Church of England Diocese: London
962/0/10068 SOUTH EALING ROAD
Cemetery lodge. 1861 by Charles Jones, Borough Engineer.
MATERIALS: squared Kentish ragstone with Bath stone dressings; red brick chimney stacks. Slate roof with bands of fish-scale decoration.
PLAN: square, with addition to south-east and hall addition to north, both of 1903.
EXTERIOR: two storeys. Twin-gabled front to road, right hand bay projecting forward. Four-light mullioned bay windows to ground floor with pitched slate canopies. Pointed mullioned windows to first floor, three light to left bay, two to right with voussoirs. Entrance front, south-facing, with projecting gabled range to right. Central arched four-panel door within moulded frame, beneath triangular window. To left, two-light arched windows with voussoirs; gabled dormer window above with single-light arched window. Right bay with four-light mullioned bay window with slate canopy; two-light arched window above. Northern range terminates in gabled end to east with three-light arched window. Extension to south-east corner faced in a rough-hewn blocks, with canted bay window, carved stone plaque in an Arts and Crafts manner dated 1903 above. Hall addition to north (now in separate ownership as the Ark Artspace): prominent stone porch with angle-set buttresses and a moulded arched door surround; rectangular flanking windows with leaded lights; corner buttresses; moulded string course; stone-framed, slatted opening in gable end with Free Gothic decoration.
INTERIOR: not inspected, but believed to have been remodelled in the mid-20th century.
HISTORY: built to serve the newly opened Ealing Cemetery, this, the principal lodge with cemetery office attached, is a highly characteristic example of an 1860s lodge and it enjoys strong group value with the adjoining chapels, walls and railings (q.v.).
SOURCE: Hugh Meller, 'London Cemeteries' (3rd ed. 1999) 122.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings