This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.5609 / 53°33'39"N
Longitude: -1.1887 / 1°11'19"W
OS Eastings: 453838
OS Northings: 407444
OS Grid: SE538074
Mapcode National: GBR NW48.G8
Mapcode Global: WHDCV.QR5J
Plus Code: 9C5WHR66+8G
Entry Name: Miners' Welfare Institute
Listing Date: 18 May 2000
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1380321
English Heritage Legacy ID: 480305
Location: Doncaster, DN6
Electoral Ward/Division: Adwick le Street & Carcroft
Built-Up Area: Adwick le Street
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Woodlands All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
ADWICK LE STREET
SE 5307 WELFARE ROAD
1487/11/10005 Miners' Welfare Institute
Coal miners' welfare building. 1924 with minor late C20 alterations. Red brick and render with faience dressings and Welsh slate roofs. Single storey.
Main hall has prominent board roof with single storey flat roofed sections at either end. South-east entrance has 9 window facade arranged 1:3:1:3:1. It has moulded plinth, sill band, corner pilasters and moulded entablature at the eaves. Central entrance arch with tiled internal porch, double glazed doors with sidelights and overlight. Arch has moulded keystone and ornate spandrels, flanked by panels and topped by a bold parapet with sunken panel inscribed "BRODSWORTH MINERS, 1924, WELFARE INSTITUTE" and flanking piers topped with scroll brackets. Either side 3 casement windows, the central ones double, all with glazing bars in the upper windows, all topped with faience tiled piers and wrought iron railings between. Set back on either side a single window with solid brick parapet above. Behind this facade a broad rendered gable with brick bands and a circular blind window.
North-west playing-field front has similar single storey flat roofed section of 11 windows arranged 2; 3;1;3;2. It has similar faience decoration. Central doorway has double panelled doors toped with a hood and above a large overlight in pilastered faience surround. About another projecting central plaque again inscribed "BROADWORTH MINERS, 1924, WELFARE INSTITUTE".
Side facades brick with alternating windows and doors.
INTERIOR has single large hall with stage at one end. Either side rows of fluted Ionic columns support shallow curved plaster ceiling with Greek key ribs which is now hidden above a suspended ceiling. Original doors and doorcases survive and one section of the original panelled bar facade still survives.
Listing NGR: SE5383807444
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings