This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.4087 / 53°24'31"N
Longitude: -2.9875 / 2°59'15"W
OS Eastings: 334450
OS Northings: 390668
OS Grid: SJ344906
Mapcode National: GBR 73N.R1
Mapcode Global: WH877.2LN4
Entry Name: Bands Warehouse
Listing Date: 4 August 2000
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1380942
English Heritage Legacy ID: 481266
Location: Liverpool, L2
Electoral Ward/Division: Central
Built-Up Area: Liverpool
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Merseyside
Church of England Parish: Liverpool Our Lady and St Nicholas
Church of England Diocese: Liverpool
SJ3490NW VERNON STREET
04-AUG-00 Bands Warehouse
Warehouse. c.1890 with minor late C20 alterations. Smooth red brick with terracotta detailing, coped gables and a Welsh slate roof covering.
PLAN. Narrow street frontage, extending into deep plot, with 2 street frontage elevations.
EXTERIOR. Vernon Street frontage . 4 storeys above a basement, 2 gabled frontage, one narrow gable above recessed loading bay to left, one wide gable with 4 windows set between narrow corner pilasters. Wide, mullioned ground floor workshop or shop window with small-paned wide shallow segmental arch. Infilled basement light with wide arched head. Doorway to right with decorative terra-cotta doorcase, double 3-panel doors and 3-light overlight. First and second floors each with 4 sash windows, the upper lights with glazing bars, the lower sashes undivided. Flat brick heads to window openings, and continuous drip moulds and cill bands. Upper storey with 2 sashes flanked and separated by short pilasters, rising to gable apex with terracotta copings. To left, narrow hoist bay with semi-circular arched head set below coped gablet with round window to apex set upon moulded band above arch head. Loading doorways set within full- height arch-headed recess, with metal landing beams and metal plate doors. Metal protector plates to corners of opening at ground floor level.
REAR ELEVATION. Hockenhall Alley elevation with white glazed brick facings to single wide gabled frontage. 5 windows to upper floor and 3 shallow arch-headed openings to ground floor, and a raised doorway to the right. North side wall with various windows to 2nd bay, which also has glazed brick facings for former light well.
INTERIOR: Loading bay hydraulic hoist mechanism remains in situ at attic level. Exposed and painted scissor-braced asymmetrical roof trusses with double collars and bolted joints. Joisted floors supported by steel beams at all levels. Enclosed stair well with domestic-scale timber stair, with diagonally-crossed balusters and acorn finials to newel posts. Contemporary half- glazed office partitions to ground floor, together with a blocked hearth and surround. Storage floors with unboarded margins to allow air circulation between levels.
HISTORY. The warehouse is thought to have been used for the storage and ripening / drying of bananas and coffee. The building was formerly linked to a late C18 house on Dale Street, thought to have been the dwelling of a Mr Bands, merchant and plantation owner.
A little- altered example of a Liverpool goods warehouse, c. 1880 complete with its hydraulically-powered hoist mechanism, architecturally distinctive and sited in the commercial heart of the city.
Listing NGR: SJ3445090668
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings