This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.2897 / 52°17'22"N
Longitude: -1.5368 / 1°32'12"W
OS Eastings: 431693
OS Northings: 265829
OS Grid: SP316658
Mapcode National: GBR 6NJ.G8Z
Mapcode Global: VHBXJ.9QY2
Entry Name: Leamington Real Tennis Club
Listing Date: 25 March 1970
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1381165
English Heritage Legacy ID: 481525
Location: Royal Leamington Spa, Warwick, Warwickshire, CV32
Civil Parish: Royal Leamington Spa
Built-Up Area: Royal Leamington Spa
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Leamington Priors All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
ROYAL LEAMINGTON SPA
SP3165NE BEDFORD STREET
1208-1/7/44 (West side)
Leamington Real Tennis Club
Tennis and billiard club. Real tennis court of 1846 with club
house of 1847 and alterations of 1854. Architect: John George
Jackson of Newbold Lodge, Leamington. Pinkish-brown brick in
English Garden Wall bond with painted stucco front facade,
unpainted stucco to right extension and Welsh slate roof.
PLAN: (original): off-centre hall with smoking room to right
and reading room to left, billiard room to rear right and real
tennis court to rear left.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, 9 first-floor windows, those three to
right are set back. Plinth to right. Extension to right of 2
storeys, 1 blind window and further single-storey extension.
Entrance beneath 7th window a 6-panel door with rusticated
surround and with Doric porch of paired engaged pilasters,
frieze, metopes, dentil cornice. Six 6/6 sashes some with
original etched glass, in plain reveals and with sills and
tooled architraves with frieze and cornice.
To right are two 3/6 sashes with sills, in tooled surrounds,
continuous frieze and cornice.
First floor: 1/1 sashes with sills, in tooled surrounds
throughout, continuous sill band to three right windows.
Frieze, cornice, moulded above 3 right windows and with
blocking course. Ridge and end stacks.
INTERIOR: dining room to rear, the former billiard room, has
apse to end with marble fireplace, dado rail, moulded cornice,
peep-holes to doors. Tennis court through two storeys has
balustrade to front and left side with turned posts; large
tripartite window has three 12-pane lights to first floor.
4-panel doors. Openwell staircase has cast-iron balustrade
with paterae motif and wreathed handrail. Hall has
Coalbrookdale tile floor. Reading rooms to front. Dr Jephson
and Lord Brooke were among the committee members who promoted
the Tennis Court. Approx. »2,000 was raised by shares.
HISTORICAL NOTE: this is the oldest public gentleman's tennis
club, the first game was played on 29 December 1847. Jackson
was sent by the Committee to inspect the tennis court in the
Haymarket, London, before proceeding. Bedford Street was laid
out by 1810, first called Frost Street, its present name was
adopted before 1834.
(Noel EB and Clark JOM: A History of Tennis: London: 1924-;
Tennis Club Committee Minutes: 1844-1848).
Listing NGR: SP3169365829
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings