This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.3421 / 52°20'31"N
Longitude: 1.2695 / 1°16'10"E
OS Eastings: 622807
OS Northings: 276587
OS Grid: TM228765
Mapcode National: GBR VKW.3RT
Mapcode Global: VHL9H.YDGD
Plus Code: 9F4387R9+RQ
Entry Name: Catlyns Farmhouse
Listing Date: 4 December 2000
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1381344
English Heritage Legacy ID: 481704
Location: Wingfield, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP21
Civil Parish: Wingfield
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Wingfield St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TM 27 NW WINGFIELD
1220/5/10004 Church Road
House. Mid C16, re-roofed late C17, and alterations of C19 and C20. Timber-frame, partly with C19 brick skin; pantiled roof. Converted to 2 houses c. 1850, and converted back to one house C20.
PLAN: floored parlour-hall-services plan, with the hall and services amalgamated into one room. Framing of 4 bays, with wider bay in centre.
EXTERIOR: west front of 2 storeys; 2-window range. Flemish bond red brick skin on a tarred brick plinth. C20 gabled weatherboarded porch to left and a C20 casement to right of elevation, blocking a C19 doorway. Centre of elevation with 2 2-light casements each floor. Bell-based gabled roof and central rendered and colourwashed ridge stack.
East front is 4-window range. First floor with exposed studs and a tension brace at the south corner. Exposed bressumer of former full-length jetty. Ground floor underbuilt in brick: C20 doorway to left under an open gabled hood. C19 casement to right doubling as a doorway, under a semi-circular timber head. 2 casements between these, and a further casement to extreme south. First floor with one 3-light hollow-moulded mullioned window to south and 2 similar, 4-light windows to north. One C20 casement in centre.
North gable plastered and colourwashed. One 3-light casement to each floor.
Bricked south gable with one 2-light casement to first floor and a single-storey extension of 1960s to ground floor.
INTERIOR: south ground-floor room with a chamfered dragon beam with tongue stops into the south-west corner, indicating former jetty to east and south returns. Main bridging beam with chamfers and tongue stops to west side. Plain flat joists. Fireplace with chamfered bressumer.
North rooms opened into one, with 2 supporting posts added to carry bridging beam, one of which is a reused jowled principal stud. Studwork exposed to north and west elevations. Chamfered fireplace bressumer with elaborate tongue stop to west side. Built in mid C19 cupboard west of stack, with triangular plank backboards. Staircase in boarded well in north-west corner.
First floor with inserted passage on west side. Jowled principal studs with tension bracing to corners and arched braces to posts defining wider central framing bay (remaining to south truss only). South end of passage with C16 3-plank door under a 4-centred head. North room with close studding to south wall and a cambered tie beam. South room with close studding to south wall and C16 rebate in tie beam for a window shutter; inserted strengthening wall plate to east wall.
Late C17 roof of common rafters, one tier of clasped purlins and collars.
Listing NGR: TM2280776587
Other nearby listed buildings