History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mark

A Grade II* Listed Building in Royal Leamington Spa, Warwickshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2941 / 52°17'38"N

Longitude: -1.5458 / 1°32'44"W

OS Eastings: 431072

OS Northings: 266310

OS Grid: SP310663

Mapcode National: GBR 6NJ.00V

Mapcode Global: VHBXJ.5L4R

Entry Name: Church of St Mark

Listing Date: 19 November 1953

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1381515

English Heritage Legacy ID: 481877

Location: Royal Leamington Spa, Warwick, Warwickshire, CV32

County: Warwickshire

District: Warwick

Civil Parish: Royal Leamington Spa

Built-Up Area: Royal Leamington Spa

Traditional County: Warwickshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire

Church of England Parish: New Milverton St Mark

Church of England Diocese: Coventry

Find accommodation in
Leamington Spa

Listing Text


ROYAL LEAMINGTON SPA

SP3166SW RUGBY ROAD, New Milverton
1208-1/1/431 (North West side)
19/11/53 Church of St Mark

GV II*

Church. 1879 with later additions and alterations including
C20 buildings to north. Architect George Gilbert Scott junior.
Erected in memory of Dame Francis Wheeler, endowed by her
brothers Charles Carns-Wilson and Edward S Carns-Wilson.
Red brick with ashlar banding and tracery, plain tile and lead
roofs.
STYLE: Gothic Revival, Decorated.
PLAN: 3-stage west tower, 4-bay nave with clerestory, aisles,
single-bay transepts and with parish rooms to north, 3-bay
chancel.
EXTERIOR: tower has triple-chamfered plinth; angle buttresses
with off-sets up to second stage, then shorter off-set
buttresses to third stage, surmounting pinnacles with finials.
West entrance a pointed, panelled door with hollow- and
roll-moulding to head, hoodmould, tall 4-light window with
reticulated-type tracery to head, chamfered sill, hollow- and
roll-moulded surround and hoodmould; second stage: 2-light
windows with similar tracery to 3 sides; 3rd stage: 2 pairs of
2-light, straight-headed belfry windows to each side. Nave:
double-chamfered plinth, off-set buttresses between windows;
south entrance to first bay has panelled door in pointed
surround with hollow- and roll-moulding, hoodmould and
continuous impost band; otherwise 3-light, pointed-arched
windows with reticulated-type tracery to heads; north side has
pointed plank door to west end and lancet window. 3-light
windows with reticulated-type tracery to clerestory. Transepts
have angle buttresses and similar 4-light windows. Parish
rooms to north have 2-light, straight-headed windows with
Perpendicular-type tracery.
Chancel has buttresses between bays, 4-light similar windows,
3 to south, 2 to north. East end has similar 6-light window.
INTERIOR: tall, pointed tower arch has 2 orders of
roll-moulding, quoins. Squared-off lozenge-shaped piers
support pointed arched with double hollow-chamfer and
roll-moulding. Tall transept arches with similar roll- and
hollow-moulding; wide pointed chancel arch on angel corbels
has 1 order of roll-moulding. Piscina. Carved chancel screen
of 1904. Carved reredos with Christ and Apostles, 1902, by
Plucknett and Company. Minton tiles to chancel floor. Carved
font. Nave roof boarded, of 4-centred section on a coving;

transepts have tierceron-vaults; chancel has lierne-vault.
Organ case, painted, designed by Scott and executed by Hardman
and Powell, 1879.
STAINED GLASS: to chancel by Kempe.
FITTINGS: screen of 1904 by GF Bodley.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the first designs for the church were made in
1873, but construction of a modified design only began in 1876
and the west tower is smaller than originally intended.
'St Mark's is the principal surviving work of George Gilbert
Scott junior', (Powell and Sutton).
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N and Wedgwood A:
Warwickshire: Harmondsworth: 1966-1990: 334; Stevens A: The
Woodcarvers of Warwick: Warwick: 1980-: 43; Howell P and
Sutton I (eds): Victorian Churches: London: 1989-: 63-4).

Listing NGR: SP3107266310

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.