This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1639 / 52°9'50"N
Longitude: -1.5531 / 1°33'11"W
OS Eastings: 430666
OS Northings: 251833
OS Grid: SP306518
Mapcode National: GBR 5NQ.B50
Mapcode Global: VHBY3.1W90
Plus Code: 9C4W5C7W+HQ
Entry Name: Combrook House
Listing Date: 5 April 1967
Last Amended: 19 August 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1381839
English Heritage Legacy ID: 482204
Location: Combrook, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, CV35
Civil Parish: Combrook
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Combroke St Mary and St Margaret
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
1901-1/6/41 Combrook House
(Formerly Listed as:
THE VILLAGE, Combrook
House, recorded as school in late C16; a rectory in C19.
Probably C17 with extensive C19 and C20 alterations and
MATERIALS: coursed limestone rubble with some dressed stone to
right end, ironstone quoins and ashlar dressings; steeply
pitched old tile and fish-scale tile roofs with coped gables
and brick end and ridge stacks with clustered truncated shafts
and C19 pots. 3-unit plan set into slope of ground, with
further unit to left.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys plus attic; entrance front is a 4-window
range, plus short range to right with projecting gabled wing.
Main range: brick to ground floor right; 2 courses of blue
limestone near eaves; coped gables; signs of alteration or
repair to left end. Long porch to first floor left of centre
(due to slope of ground), has end with coped gable and
single-chamfered entrance with 4-centred head and inset plank
To left of porch a blocked recessed-chamfered window with
label mould, originally 3-light with transom, with 2 windows
above, one with timber lintel over 2-light casement, one with
recessed chamfered reveals to 3-light casement. To right of
porch a C19 brick lean-to outshut, 2 windows above, one a
3-light casement, one a 3-light recessed-chamfered mullioned
window; 4 gabled dormers with labels over 2-light pegged
chamfered casements with iron opening casements.
Range to right has wing with roof swept down to right; pegged
leaded light to wing, entrance to left and 2-light casement to
right, all under timber lintels; first-floor leaded light and
gabled dormer; right return has lower gabled addition with
quoins and windows with timber lintels. Left return has
blocked tall 5-light recessed mullioned-and-transomed window
with label mould.
Rear, garden, front is 5-window range; quoins to ground floor
at left end, fishscale bands to roof; range to left has
single-storey wing with single-pitch roof. Central 2-storey
gabled porch with coped gable and finial; single-chamfered
entrance with 4-centred head and label mould to plank door.
Ground floor has C19 canted bay window under hipped tile roof
to each end with casements; to left of porch a 4-light
mullioned window, the central mullion removed and heads of
lights blocked, and to right of porch a window with 2-light
First floor has recessed-chamfered mullioned windows under
label moulds, of 3 lights to porch and to right, smaller
windows of 4 lights to left; 4 gabled dormers with 2-light
small-paned casements. Range to left has first-floor window
with 2-light leaded casement with iron opening casement and
INTERIOR: not inspected, but reported as having been altered
in C19 and C20. Believed to have been a school in C17.
Listing NGR: SP3066651833
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings