History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Michael and All Angels

A Grade II* Listed Building in Claverdon, Warwickshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.279 / 52°16'44"N

Longitude: -1.7107 / 1°42'38"W

OS Eastings: 419831

OS Northings: 264577

OS Grid: SP198645

Mapcode National: GBR 4KV.0BD

Mapcode Global: VHBXF.9ZG9

Entry Name: Church of St Michael and All Angels

Listing Date: 5 April 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1382061

English Heritage Legacy ID: 482426

Location: Claverdon, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, CV35

County: Warwickshire

District: Stratford-on-Avon

Civil Parish: Claverdon

Built-Up Area: Claverdon

Traditional County: Warwickshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire

Church of England Parish: Claverdon St Michael and All Angels

Church of England Diocese: Coventry

Find accommodation in
Claverdon

Listing Text


CLAVERDON

SP16SE CHURCH ROAD
1457-1/5/16 (North side)
05/04/67 Church of St Michael and All Angels

GV II*

Church. Chancel and chancel arch mainly c1350 with C16
windows, tower c1450, nave and aisles rebuilt 1876 by Ewan
Christian in C14 style with C20 restorations.
MATERIALS: lias limestone with timber porch and Welsh slate
roofs.
PLAN: 2-stage west tower, 2-bay nave with clerestory, aisles
and south porch, 2-bay chancel with single-bay organ chamber
to north and single-bay vestry to south.
EXTERIOR: tower: chamfered plinth, diagonal buttresses with
off-sets to 3/4 height; south-east stair turret to first
stage. West entrance has double plank doors in 4-centre arched
surround with double-chamfered hollow moulding to head. Above,
a 3-light Perpendicular window with chamfered mullions and
surrounds, hoodmould. First stage moulded band. Second stage:
slit window to south with continuous hoodmould; 2-light belfry
windows with reticulated tracery and hollow-moulded
hoodmoulds. Crenellated parapet above string course.
Nave: buttresses between bays and to ends; chamfered plinth.
South porch: cambered-arched opening, to front and sides are
windows with reticulated-type tracery, brattished frieze,
decorative bargeboards to gable end. Entrance within has
double plank doors in double-chamfered pointed-arched surround
with 2 orders of roll-moulding and hollow-moulding between;
roll-moulded hood with curl stops.
South aisle: 3-light straight-headed window, to east and west
ends of aisle are 2-light pointed-arched windows.
North aisle: two 2-light straight-headed windows. Clerestory,
north and south alike: four 2-light windows. All windows have
reticulated-type tracery to heads and quoined surrounds.
Chancel: westernmost bays are occupied by organ chamber and
vestry, north and south sides alike: entrance has double plank
doors in Caernarven-arched, chamfered surround; pair of cusped
lights in straight-headed surround; east ends have each a
2-light pointed window with reticulated-type tracery to head.
Chancel second bay has 3-light mullion and transom window to
each side. East end has 3-light window with reticulated-type
tracery to head. Raised gables with copings.
INTERIOR: nave roof on corbels; chancel has barrel-vaulted
roof. Tall, narrow, double-chamfered 4-centred tower arch, to
south of this a small plank door in pointed, chamfered
surround to stair turret.
Nave arcade has 2 double-chamfered, 4-centred arches with
continuous roll-moulded hoodmould on central octagonal column
and end column-corbels. Continuous moulded sill band to
clerestory.
Windows to nave and clerestory have deep chamfered jambs and
quoins. Pointed, double-chamfered chancel arch on pair of
slender C19 shafts. To east end of aisles are
double-chamfered, 4-centred arches, further similar arches to
first bay of chancel, the inner orders on corbels.
STAINED GLASS: chancel windows have quoins. Continuous moulded
sill band to east. East window glass by Kempe.
FITTINGS: pulpit in C14 French style inscribed 'CLOVELLY / AUG
12TH 1879'.
MONUMENTS: alabaster and stone monument to Thomas Spencer
d.1630, son of Sir John Spencer of Althorp d.1586, probably
Elizabethan with 2 black columns and shallow coffered arch,
the surfaces covered with rustically treated foliage trails.
Forms a group with all listed items in Churchyard (qv) and
with Porlock View and Church View (qv).
(Ross CE: Claverdon Parish Church: St Michael and All Angels).

Listing NGR: SP1983164577

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.