This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.2386 / 52°14'19"N
Longitude: -1.6815 / 1°40'53"W
OS Eastings: 421844
OS Northings: 260096
OS Grid: SP218600
Mapcode National: GBR 5ML.MP2
Mapcode Global: VHBXM.SZXR
Plus Code: 9C4W68Q9+C9
Entry Name: Church of St James the Great
Listing Date: 5 April 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1382171
English Heritage Legacy ID: 482537
Location: Snitterfield, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, CV37
Civil Parish: Snitterfield
Built-Up Area: Snitterfield
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Snitterfield St James the Great
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
SP26SW CHURCH ROAD
1457-1/6/101 (South East side)
05/04/67 Church of St James the Great
Church. c1300 chancel; early C14 nave and aisles with C15
clerestory; late C14-C15 west tower with C18 and c1860
restorations. Coursed limestone with ashlar dressings; old
tile roofs with coped gables. Chancel with north vestry, 4-bay
nave with aisles and tower.
EXTERIOR: chancel has moulded plinth, string course and top
cornice; angle buttresses. Renewed 5-light east window and
3-light renewed north and south windows, all with intersecting
tracery in moulded arches; Priest's doorway to south has plank
door and moulded arch.
Nave has clerestory with parapet and 2-light windows; aisles
have windows with Y-tracery. 3-stage tower has west entrance
with moulded arch to plank door; paired 2-light transomed
bell-openings; plat band and crenellated parapet with finials.
Some C18 and C19 exterior memorial tablets.
INTERIOR: chancel has C18 roof and renewed double piscina.
Nave has 4-bay arcades, that to north with octagonal piers and
stilted arches, that to south has shafted piers with unusual
capitals: shafts dying into bell forms; early C16 roof,
possibly taken from Fulbrook Castle; tall triple-chamfered
FITTINGS: 2 stall fronts and 2 stall ends c1530 with good
carving, Perpendicular details influenced by Renaissance
forms; c1630 communion rail; C19 tiles; c1730 pulpit; good
early C14 font with heads coming from underside.
MONUMENTS: C18 and C19 wall memorials; 2 C18 hatchments to
members of the family of the Earls of Coventry.
STAINED GLASS: window by F Holt of Warwick, 1877; chancel has
window to Smith family by Frampton.
A good church with some unusual features and fittings.
(Victoria County Histories: Styles P: Victoria History of the
County of Warwickshire: 1945-: 167-72; Shell Guides: Hickman
D: Warwickshire: London: 1979-: 154-5).
Listing NGR: SP2184260095
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings