History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Manor Farmhouse

A Grade II* Listed Building in Wootton Wawen, Warwickshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2704 / 52°16'13"N

Longitude: -1.7785 / 1°46'42"W

OS Eastings: 415210

OS Northings: 263601

OS Grid: SP152636

Mapcode National: GBR 4KR.M5S

Mapcode Global: VHB04.464C

Entry Name: Manor Farmhouse

Listing Date: 6 February 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1382243

English Heritage Legacy ID: 482609

Location: Wootton Wawen, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, B95

County: Warwickshire

District: Stratford-on-Avon

Civil Parish: Wootton Wawen

Traditional County: Warwickshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire

Church of England Parish: Wootton Wawen St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Coventry

Find accommodation in
Henley in Arden

Listing Text


WOOTTON WAWEN

SP16SE STRATFORD ROAD
1457-1/5/170 (East side)
06/02/52 Manor Farmhouse

GV II*

Farmhouse, now house and 2 flats. C16 with rebuilding early
C18 and 1980s alterations and additions to left. Timber-framed
with plaster infill and mainly whitewashed reddish-brown brick
to right; plain-tile roof. Central hall with cross-wing at
either end, the north wing is mainly timber-framed, the
central block and south wing are brick.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys with attics to gables of wings, 4
first-floor windows arranged 1:2:1. North wing has
close-studded timber-framing to ground floor surmounted by
small square timber-framing with angle braces.
Entrance to centre range: 4-panel door with overlight with
glazing bars, wooden doorcase and coved hood carved with palm
leaves, a basket of fruit and flowers on carved console
brackets. Above is a fire insurance mark.
Entrance is flanked by multi-pane casements with wooden
mullion and transoms with flat brick arches and raised
keystones. To north range a multi-pane casement window.
First-floor band to centre and south wing, continues to right
return. First floor has casement window with lead cames to
north wing. Centre range has 2 multi-pane casements with
wooden mullion and transoms under flat brick arches with
raised keystones.
To south wing a C20 casement window. Casement window with lead
cames to gable of north wing; C20 casement to gable of south
wing under flat brick arch. Dentil eaves cornice to centre
range.
Gabled roofs. Cluster of 3 internal stacks to junction of
north wing and centre range, 2 are diagonal and one is
renewed; further internal stack to right.
Right return, ground floor, has c1990 French windows; C20
casement window. First floor has tripartite casement window
with wooden mullion and transoms, remains of flat brick arch
and sill; further casement has flat brick arch with raised
keystone. Dentil eaves cornice.
INTERIOR: winder staircase to central range has one flight of
barley-twist-on-vase balusters and to side of this a partition
wall of small timber-framing. 6-panel doors. Ground-floor room
to south wing has moulded panelling, 4-panel cupboards to
sides of stack with radial glazing to heads; C17 marble
chimneypiece, beamed ceiling, cornice. First-floor room, south
wing, has moulded panelling and wainscoting, 2-panel cupboard
door; bolection-moulded fireplace. 6-panel doors. To attic,
south wing, extensive timber-framing, chamfered beams, wall
plates. North wing not inspected.
EXTRA INFORMATION: The Wootton Wawen Report considered the
north wing to be a survival from a single- or double-ended
hall building of which the present central and south elements
represent a rebuilding. The hood above the entrance may have
been brought from elsewhere in the early C19. Rebuilding c1700
was likely to have been the result of a general programme by
King's College, Cambridge, to which the area had been endowed
by Henry VI in 1414.
Forms part of a good range of farmhouse and associated farm
buildings which include the Barn Range (qv), Cart shed with
Stable and Hayloft (qv) and Stables (qv).
(The Wootton Wawen Project: Bassett S: Interim Report:
University of Birmingham: 1983-1989: 18; Buildings of England:
Pevsner N: Warwickshire: Harmondsworth: 1966-: 482).

Listing NGR: SP1521063601

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.