This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.2923 / 52°17'32"N
Longitude: -1.7804 / 1°46'49"W
OS Eastings: 415073
OS Northings: 266042
OS Grid: SP150660
Mapcode National: GBR 4KK.6P6
Mapcode Global: VH9ZY.3N32
Entry Name: The White Swan Hotel
Listing Date: 6 February 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1382311
English Heritage Legacy ID: 482678
Location: Henley-in-Arden, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, B95
Civil Parish: Henley-in-Arden
Built-Up Area: Henley-In-Arden
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Beaudesert St Nicholas
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
SP1566 HIGH STREET
652-1/10/48 (West side)
The White Swan Hotel
House, now house and public house. Late C16 with early C17
refronting and C19 alterations and additions. Brick with
limestone ashlar dressings, and timber-frame with brick or
plastered infill; gabled tile roof with C19 brick end stack
and cross-axial stack. 3-unit plan plus cross-wing to right
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys plus attic; 4-window range. 2 units to
left of brick with ashlar quoins, timber-framed jettied gable
to left end; wing has jettied first floor and gable. Entrance
to left end has recessed-chamfered ashlar architrave with
renewed lintel and label to C20 plank door; throughway to
right of centre has paired panelled gates.
Two 2-storey canted bay windows to left of centre have ashlar
quoins and timber top cornices, each floor with
1:1:3:1:1-light recessed-chamfered mullioned windows with C19
or C20 leaded glazing; wing has ashlar-dressed brick base to
similar canted bay window, but with wood mullions and narrower
window to first floor bacause of jetty; first floor has window
with renewed 3-light transomed casement over throughway. Gable
to left end has a 3-light leaded metal casement, and similar
window to gable of cross-wing. 2 hipped roof dormers have
2-light leaded casements.
Right half has close-studded ground floor and square framing
to first floor, right wing with decorative framing to first
floor and gable head. Similar framing to left gable head.
Enriched wrought-iron sign bracket.
Rear has varied gabled wings, some timber-framing to
cross-wing, with 3-panel door and brick addition.
INTERIOR: some exposed beams, but much alteration.
(Victoria County History: Styles P: Victoria History of the
County of Warwickshire: 1945-: 207).
Listing NGR: SP1506266043
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings