This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.3062 / 52°18'22"N
Longitude: -1.8097 / 1°48'35"W
OS Eastings: 413068
OS Northings: 267585
OS Grid: SP130675
Mapcode National: GBR 4K9.C8R
Mapcode Global: VH9ZX.L93C
Plus Code: 9C4W854R+F4
Entry Name: Old Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 5 April 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1382493
English Heritage Legacy ID: 482877
Location: Ullenhall, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, B95
Civil Parish: Ullenhall
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Ullenhall St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
SP16NW CHAPEL LANE
652-1/5/222 (East side)
05/04/67 Old Church of St Mary
Church, comprises chancel of former church. C13 with probably
C14 reused windows to south side and later additions and
alterations including removal of nave and rebuilding of west
wall and west porch in 1875.
MATERIALS: lias stone with plain-tile roof.
EXTERIOR: 2 bays. Chamfered plinth to north and south sides.
Buttresses with off-sets to angles, and between bays. Entrance
to porch has double plank doors in double-chamfered, 4-centred
pointed arched surround. Slit windows to sides.
West end has small lancet, coped gable and bellcote with
sundial to side dated 1835.
South side has 3 stepped trefoil-headed, ogeed lancets,
probably reused from the nave; then pair of trefoil-headed
lancets with sunk spandrels in the cusps, all with chamfered
mullions and sills.
North side easternmost bay has pair of trefoil-headed lancets
with chamfered mullion and sill.
East end has 3-light window with intersecting tracery,
hoodmould and chamfered mullions and sill.
INTERIOR: entrance has a pointed 4-centred double-chamfered
arch with outer orders of roll and nail-head moulding on
banded shafts with capitals ornamented with palms and vines
and with water-holding bases; roll-moulding to hoodmould.
The inner side of arch has roll-moulded basket arch. Windows
have wide sills and splayed jambs. Rectangular aumbry to south
wall at east end. Late medieval tiles to floor at east end.
FITTINGS: ornate wrought-iron altar railings dated 1735,
donated by church wardens J Ward and T Williams; hanging
wrought-iron candelabra. Jacobean panelling remains to north
and south walls. C15 octagonal font on plain shaft.
MONUMENTS: English Renaissance-style wall monument to Francis
Throckmorton d.1617, son of Michael Throckmorton of Coughton
Court, born and died in Mantua, Italy, lived in England during
reign of Queen Mary when he received lands in Honity,
Blackwell, Packhurst, Windoerton and Ullenhall; inscription
tablet bordered by strapwork and 2 Corinthian columns and
surmounted by 2 putti (illustrated in Dugdale). West end has
inscription plaque: 'ULLENHALL CHAPEL .../CONSECRATED BY THE/
BISHOP OF WORCESTER/ ... 1875'.
Forms a group with Old Chapel Cottages, Chapel Lane (qv).
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N and Wedgwood A:
Warwickshire: Harmondsworth: 1966-1990: 437; Bushell N:
Ancient Ullenhall: 1989-: 13).
Listing NGR: SP1306867585
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings