History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Group of 7 Chest Tombs and 2 Headstones Immediately South of the Church of St James

A Grade II Listed Building in Long Marston, Warwickshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1311 / 52°7'52"N

Longitude: -1.7783 / 1°46'41"W

OS Eastings: 415270

OS Northings: 248114

OS Grid: SP152481

Mapcode National: GBR 4MH.77J

Mapcode Global: VHB0Q.4P7N

Plus Code: 9C4W46JC+CM

Entry Name: Group of 7 Chest Tombs and 2 Headstones Immediately South of the Church of St James

Listing Date: 27 April 2000

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1382597

English Heritage Legacy ID: 482981

Location: Long Marston, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, CV37

County: Warwickshire

Civil Parish: Long Marston

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire

Church of England Parish: Marston Sicca St James the Great

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Long Marston

Listing Text


LONG MARSTON

SP1548 DORSINGTON ROAD
1912-1/13/88 (South side)
Group of 7 chest tombs and 2
headstones immediately S of Church
of St James

GV II

Group of 7 chest tombs in 2 lines running north-south and 2
headstones to east. c1650-1731. Ashlar.
From east: 2 headstones, to left to Richard Webb, d.1731,
cherubs flanking open book and worn inscription; to right to
Mary Webb, d.1728, cartouche with drapery and 2 flowers above
and 2 cherubs below. Then line of 3 chest tombs with chamfered
plinths and moulded edges to top slabs, from north: chest with
plain side panels; 2 chests, possibly mid C17, with plain
balusters, round-headed end panels with keys and architraves
and friezes over side panels with worn inscriptions. Then line
of 4 chest tombs: large chest with top slab with moulded edge
and coffin form on top; Loggin arms and crest to one end,
wreathed skull to other; inverted side panel with inscribed
text. Plain chest with compass-inscribed patterns and
fleur-de-lys to ends. Low plain chest, possibly to John Locke,
d.1714. Chest, possibly to Sarah Fletcher, d.1721, with
moulded edge to top slab, which has reeded hemisphere and
flanking scrolls on top; rich cartouches to ends have cherub
and wreathed skull.
The work is part of the rich Cotswold tradition of funerary
monuments.
(Information from collections at the Shakespeare Birthplace
Trust).

Listing NGR: SP1526948110

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.