This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1299 / 52°7'47"N
Longitude: -1.7795 / 1°46'46"W
OS Eastings: 415190
OS Northings: 247973
OS Grid: SP151479
Mapcode National: GBR 4MH.DXS
Mapcode Global: VHB0Q.3QLM
Plus Code: 9C4W46HC+W6
Entry Name: King's Lodge
Listing Date: 6 February 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1382606
English Heritage Legacy ID: 482990
Location: Long Marston, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, CV37
Civil Parish: Long Marston
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Marston Sicca St James the Great
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SP14NE MAIN STREET
1912-1/5/97 (West side (off))
06/02/52 King's Lodge
House, now hotel. Early C17 with C18 and C19 alterations and
large 1896 rear wing. Coursed dressed blue lias with brick 1st
floor, part stuccoed; steeply pitched renewed tile roof with
stone end stacks with rendered diagonally-set shafts and
cross-axial stacks. L-plan with rear cross wing.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys; symmetrical 2-window range. Continuous
dripstone and stucco 1st floor. Entrance has 4-flush-panel
door in pegged frame with gabled open timber porch with
arch-braces. 3-light recessed chamfered-mullioned window to
left has one light partly blocked; window to right has 3-light
transomed and pegged casement; 1st floor has similar
cross-casements with iron opening leafs. All windows with
small-paned glazing. Left end lateral stack and large
projecting stack to right end.
Left return has dripstone continued over 2-light, 3- plus
3-light and 4-light recessed chamfered-mullioned windows;
brick 1st floor has gable to right end and 5 2-light casements
with heavy pegged frames, some with iron opening casements,
and a similar single light; cross-axial stack with diagonal
Gabled right return has similar details: 3-light mullioned
window; lean-to outshut with segmental-headed window and
To rear, dripstone continued round 3 sides of courtyard. To
left: double-chamfered window with 3-light transomed casement
and 2 windows to 1st floor, one with horizontally sliding
sash, one with casement; centre has 4-light mullioned window
with blocked entrance to left, and 3-light transomed casement
to 1st floor; to right the C19 wing has rock-faced stone
ground floor, 3-light mullioned window, and oriel with hipped
roof to 1st floor; gable end with 3-light window with oriel
above and datestone inscribed: 1896/ VIC. LX. Rear projecting
lateral stack and some triangular-headed windows.
INTERIOR: main room with large spine beam and fireplace with
ovolo-moulded bressumer and side benches; cupboard built into
blocked entrance and window seat; some timber-framed walls and
Charles II was reputed to have stayed here in 1651; legend
states that he was scolded by the cook for burning the meat.
(Shell Guides: Hickman D: Warwickshire: London: 1979-: 125).
Listing NGR: SP1519047973
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings