This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1337 / 52°8'1"N
Longitude: -1.7779 / 1°46'40"W
OS Eastings: 415295
OS Northings: 248395
OS Grid: SP152483
Mapcode National: GBR 4MH.79X
Mapcode Global: VHB0Q.4MFP
Plus Code: 9C4W46MC+FR
Entry Name: Church Farmhouse
Listing Date: 27 April 2000
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1382599
English Heritage Legacy ID: 482983
Location: Long Marston, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, CV37
Civil Parish: Long Marston
Built-Up Area: Long Marston
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Marston Sicca St James the Great
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SP1548 MAIN STREET
1912-1/13/89 (West side)
Former school and farmhouse, now house. c1800 with altered
late C17 rear wing. Brick, part roughcast on rubble plinth,
with ashlar dressings to rear wing; concrete tile roof with
brick end stacks. T-plan.
EXTERIOR: 3 storey. Symmetrical 3-window range: front range
has doorcase to entrance with reeded pilasters and slender
consoles to open pediment; overlight with decorative glazing
bars; door with 4 glazed and 2 flush panels. Windows have tile
sills, and 8/8 sashes to ground floor, 6/6 sashes to 1st
floor, and 3/3 sashes to 2nd floor.
Small single-storey addition to right end. Rear wing left
return has ashlar quoins and cornice; entrance to right end
has ashlar doorcase with simple architrave, pulvinated frieze
and cornice, door with 4 glazed and 2 flush panels. Large
c1900 canted bay window has hipped roof over casements; 1st
floor has 2 windows with c1900 casements and small window over
entrance. Coped gable end has entrance and 2 small attic
windows; end stack. Right return has lean-to outshut.
INTERIOR: front range has chamfered beams, some ending over
windows; moulded architraves to windows and doors; dog-leg
stair with moulded handrail and square newels; flagged floors;
one large fireplace with re-used moulded bressumer.
Rear wing has rough beams and C20 fireplace possibly covering
large earlier fireplace; 1st floor with partly visible truss
with straight cruck spurs and struts.
HISTORY: school was founded by John Cooper and was flourishing
by 1656, known as the Grammar School; it was sold in 1919.
Ursula Bloom, novelist and playwright, lived here at one time.
Listing NGR: SP1529548395
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings