This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1354 / 52°8'7"N
Longitude: -1.6704 / 1°40'13"W
OS Eastings: 422654
OS Northings: 248622
OS Grid: SP226486
Mapcode National: GBR 5NY.4GR
Mapcode Global: VHBY7.0L8B
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 2 August 1972
Last Amended: 27 April 2000
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1382684
English Heritage Legacy ID: 483068
Location: Whitchurch, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, CV37
Civil Parish: Whitchurch
Built-Up Area: Alderminster
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Whitchurch St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
SP24NW Church of St Mary
(Formerly Listed as:
Church of St Mary)
Church. Late C11 nave with early C12 eastern half; late C12
chancel, lengthened in early C13 and remodelled c1500. C17
bellcote, repairs and shortening of nave; C18 and C19
MATERIALS: rubble, including some late C11 herringbone to nave
western half, and coursed squared stone; ashlar dressings;
slate roofs and shingled bellcote. Coped gables.
EXTERIOR: chancel has offset plinth; c1500 5-light east window
with 2 king mullions between 2 shallow buttresses; 3 shields
to gable. North side has C12 round-headed light altered to
lancet in C13, and 2:1:2-light straight-headed c1500 window to
east with part of blocked entrance below. South side has 2
similar windows, one partly raised over C13 priest's entrance;
traces of blocked windows.
Nave north side has rubble and ashlar, offset buttress, eaves
corbels and C12 round-headed light to east half, some
herringbone masonry to west half. South side of nave is
similar, of ashlar, and has probably C18 straight-headed
window with 3 elliptical-headed lights to east, some
contemporary ashlar and buttress; west half has late C13
window and re-set C12 round-headed entrance of single order,
C17 ashlar above incorporates relief of Paschal Lamb with worn
painted sundial to left dated 1646.
C17 west wall including straight-headed window of 3
elliptical-headed lights, small shuttered light above and
timber-framed square bellcote with shingling to walls and
pyramid roof; 3-light louvred bell openings with enriched
INTERIOR: chancel has C19 waggon roof, north and south walls
slope outwards; wide hollow-chamfered reveals of east window
have hacked-off image plinths on octagonal shafts and
mutilated canopies; north side has C15 tomb recess, jambs to 2
removed C12 windows and jambs of blocked opening; south side
has blocked C12 window and signs of another, rectangular
recess with piscina bowl to left; east end has shallow recess
rebated for door to right. Chancel arch has C12 responds with
paired shafts and C13 triple-stop-chamfered arch.
Nave has C17 roof trusses with queen struts to collars, and
earlier arch-braced timber posts supporting bellcote; re-set
panel of Anglo-Danish interlace to west wall.
FITTINGS: chancel has enriched panelling to east wall with
cornice and cresting, recess to right has open-work door; 2
housel benches, one C17 and one dated 1923. Nave has pulpit
with early C17 panels to 3 sides; early C17 painted Royal Arms
in nowy-headed frame, altered c1714; C18 plain octagonal font;
screened-in vestry to north-west angle and screen by entrance.
STAINED GLASS: C15 chancel side windows have late C15 glass,
sacred monograms, armorial bearings and flowers in tracery,
with decorative C19 quarries below; C19 glass in tracery of
east window, and figure to central light; C19 figure in north
wall west window; nave west window has 1989 panel.
MONUMENTS: William Smyth, rector, d.1442: chest tomb to north
side of chancel has white marble slab with moulded edge and
incised with cross, chalice and book; black-letter inscription
to border; later graffiti including outline of foot and R W
1759. 2 floor slabs to Lucy Ann and Hester, d.1681 and 1686,
wives of Thomas Mariett. Floor slab to members of Richard
Marriett's family, d.1701, 1702, 1704. Sculpture: re-set stone
to right of west window has Anglo-Danish interlace panel to
The church stands on the site of a medieval village deserted
by the mid C16; only a barn and cottage dated 1826 stand near.
(Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Warwickshire: Harmondsworth:
1966-: 471-2; Victoria County Histories: Styles P: Victoria
History of the County of Warwickshire: 1945-: 211-3; St Mary
the Virgin, Whitchurch (4-page leaflet)).
Listing NGR: SP2265448622
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings