History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Group of 10 Headstones Approximately 3 Metres South from the Nave of Church of St Mary

A Grade II Listed Building in Alderminster, Warwickshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1353 / 52°8'7"N

Longitude: -1.6706 / 1°40'14"W

OS Eastings: 422642

OS Northings: 248606

OS Grid: SP226486

Mapcode National: GBR 5NY.4FQ

Mapcode Global: VHBY7.0L5F

Entry Name: Group of 10 Headstones Approximately 3 Metres South from the Nave of Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 27 April 2000

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1382685

English Heritage Legacy ID: 483069

Location: Whitchurch, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, CV37

County: Warwickshire

District: Stratford-on-Avon

Civil Parish: Whitchurch

Built-Up Area: Alderminster

Traditional County: Warwickshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire

Church of England Parish: Whitchurch St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Coventry

Find accommodation in
Alderminster

Listing Text


WHITCHURCH

SP24NW Group of 10 headstones approx. 3m
1912-1/6/176 south from nave of Church of St Mary

GV II

Group of 10 headstones in 2 rows of 4, each southern stone
with one behind placed back-to-back. 1700-1730. Ashlar. Row to
east, left to right: Elizabeth and Edward Walford, d.1676 and
1711; 1711; shaped top and well-cut inscription with
spiral-circle enrichments. Very worn headstone with flowers in
swag and further headstone to Thomas Halford, d.1785.
Segmental-headed headstone with very worn inscription in
cartouche with flowers; smaller cartouche to head with
flanking cherubs. Stone to rear has inscription: W R/ 1709 and
spiral-circle enrichments.
Row to west, left to right: Joseph Ryland, d.1709; shaped head
with scrolls and large face, inscription slightly damaged.
Very worn stone with cartouche adjacent. Headstone with very
worn inscription in panel with flanking scrolls; cherub to
head has flanking flaming vessels. Richard Rowlright, d.1727,
inscription with flanking fluted pilasters and scrolly
pediment with flowers.
Stone to rear has verse in architrave, and scrolly pediment
with pinks, roses and tulip.

Listing NGR: SP2264248606

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.