This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1668 / 52°10'0"N
Longitude: -1.8169 / 1°49'0"W
OS Eastings: 412619
OS Northings: 252078
OS Grid: SP126520
Mapcode National: GBR 4M1.3GY
Mapcode Global: VHB0H.GSBS
Entry Name: Hillborough Manor House
Listing Date: 6 February 1952
Last Amended: 19 June 2000
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1382782
English Heritage Legacy ID: 483168
Location: Temple Grafton, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, B50
Civil Parish: Temple Grafton
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Temple Grafton
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
1931-1/3/103 Hillborough Manor House
(Formerly Listed as:
Mansion. c1600 including some early C16 work, with C18
extension to north and C20 restoration. Dressed blue lias
stone; narrow coursed rubble to rear with sections of
timber-framing with plaster infill and painted brick; renewed
tile roof with stone lateral stacks with brick shafts, and
brick ridge stacks. L-plan.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys plus attic and 2-storey rear wing. West
elevation: 4-window range with 3-storey cross wing to left
end; French window to left of lateral stack and 2 windows of 2
wooden-chamfered mullioned lights; first floor has 2-light
windows to left of stack, 8/8 horned sash and 2-light window
Left wing has 4-light wooden-chamfered mullioned window to
each floor; re-entrant stack has diagonal brick shafts and
lateral stack has star-plan brick shafts.
Left return has gable end with basement openings with
chamfered wooden frames and single and 3-light windows to
ground and first floors, and 4-light window to attic; wing to
left has section of close-studded timber-framing to first
floor right half over narrow rubble courses, extension to left
has alternate wide courses of rubble; entrance with plank door
and 5-light window to ground floor, 3- and 5-light windows to
first floor; extension to left has 2 large and one small
windows to ground floor with brick segmental heads over
3-light small-paned casements, 2 first-floor windows with C20
Right return has ashlar 3-light double-chamfered mullioned
window to attic.
Rear has re-entrant gabled stair wing which has
wooden-chamfered mullioned single-light and 3-light window;
similar 6-light transomed window to left and Tudor-headed
entrance with blank shield above to left end.
Wing has brick section to first floor corresponding to
timber-framed section; 2 entrances, one with C20 stable door
and one to right end with plank door; windows have small-paned
casements, first floor has C20 oriel and one old casement,
with iron opening casement. Gabled roofs.
INTERIOR: richly moulded c1600 ceiling beams to room in wing,
other rooms have heavy chamfered beams; plank doors with strap
hinges; north-west room has re-set C17 panelling;
timber-framed partition walls, one with ogee-headed former
hatch; heavy C16 stair to turret; fireplaces with bressumers.
A good example of a C16 manor house forming group with
dovecote (qv) and converted farm buildings. Tradition,
probably based on mistake in church register, asserts that a
woman known as `Shakespeare's other Anne' was buried here in
the extinct churchyard (whereabouts unknown).
(Victoria County Histories: Styles P: Victoria History of the
County of Warwickshire: 1945-: 94-100; Buildings of England:
Pevsner N: Warwickshire: Harmondsworth: 1966-: 432-3).
Listing NGR: SP1261952078
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings