This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.1653 / 52°9'55"N
Longitude: -1.7694 / 1°46'9"W
OS Eastings: 415868
OS Northings: 251917
OS Grid: SP158519
Mapcode National: GBR 4M3.9GD
Mapcode Global: VHB0J.8TYY
Plus Code: 9C4W568J+46
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 5 April 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1382865
English Heritage Legacy ID: 483251
Location: Weston-on-Avon, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, CV37
Civil Parish: Weston-on-Avon
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Weston All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
Tagged with: Church building
SP1551 Church of All Saints
Church. Late C15 nave and chancel (nave slightly later), with
late C17/early C18 south porch; south aisle destroyed,
probably in C17; restored 1899.
MATERIALS: dressed blue lias, partly covered in pebbledash,
with ashlar dressings; renewed and old tile roof.
PLAN: 2-bay chancel, 4-bay nave with west tower and south
EXTERIOR: chancel has pebbledash, later gabled diagonal
buttresses with tiled gablets, quoins and coped gable; 3-light
Perpendicular east window has hood-mould with roundel stops;
north side has straight-headed 3-light double-chamfered
mullioned window with cusped lights; similar window to south,
probably renewed in C17, to east of priest's doorway with
3-centred head, C17 relief decoration to arch and label mould,
plank door with fleur-de-lys ends to strap hinges.
Nave has moulded plinth and off-set buttresses, one diagonal
buttress to north-east and south-west; cornice and crenellated
parapet with continuous roll moulding and gargoyles, pinnacles
missing; north side has Tudor-arched entrance with wide
hollow-chamfer and is blocked, triple-chamfered mullioned
windows of 3 plus 3 cusped lights with hollow-chamfered
mullions and double-chamfered king mullions; south side has
entrance with 4-centred head in hollow-chamfered architrave
and old door with feather battens, set in hipped porch with
segmental-headed arch, which has ex-situ scratch dial to jamb.
3- plus 3-light window to west; 2 pointed arches with
continuous hollow-chamfers to east with inserted C17 pegged
wooden 4-light transomed windows, no crenellations above and
wall monument below to Mary Medes, d.1708, has
bolection-moulded inscription panel and pediment; south-east
squint with 2 small cusped lights.
Tower has alternate narrow courses, moulded plinth and
diagonal buttresses; cornice and crenellations similar to
nave, with 4 gargoyles; 4-light west window with Perpendicular
tracery; 2-light double-chamfered mullioned bell-openings with
cusped lights and louvres; north-east stair turret with cusped
INTERIOR: chancel has roof ceiled over collars, squint has 2
blocked quatrefoils visible below lights; 3-centred chancel
arch has continuous hollow chamfers.
Nave has roof with ovolo-moulded tie beams and purlins;
4-centred tower arch has Tudor-headed doorway to right with
wide-boarded door; rough beams to upper floor of tower.
FITTINGS: chancel has C17 wainscoting to east bay; c1923 altar
rail has turned balusters; plain early C20 stalls with
enriched friezes and fleurons. Nave has simple wainscoting;
timber pulpit on coved base has linenfold panelling; floor to
south-east has medieval encaustic tiles of Stonleigh patterns
with heraldic and foliate designs, floor to north-east has
some fragments of incised stones and part of indent for brass;
C19 octagonal font with tracery panels; plain pews have vine,
oak, thistle etc trail patterns to backs. 1960 organ to tower.
MEMORIALS: chancel has brasses to Sir John Grevill, d.1546,
and Sir Edward Grevill, d.1559 flanking altar, both with
figure in armour on inscription panel; 3 early C19 wall
tablets to members of the Adkins family of Milcote. STAINED
GLASS: window in nave has lozenge quarries with boats with
canopies, possibly an heraldic badge.
(Victoria County Histories: Styles P: Victoria History of the
County of Warwickshire: 1945-: 200 FF; Buildings of England:
Pevsner N: Warwickshire: Harmondsworth: 1966-: 468-9).
Listing NGR: SP1586451918
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings