This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.2096 / 51°12'34"N
Longitude: -2.6446 / 2°38'40"W
OS Eastings: 355070
OS Northings: 145798
OS Grid: ST550457
Mapcode National: GBR MN.43TK
Mapcode Global: VH89S.3VSL
Entry Name: Diocesan Registry
Listing Date: 12 November 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1383016
English Heritage Legacy ID: 483434
Location: Wells, Mendip, Somerset, BA5
Civil Parish: Wells
Built-Up Area: Wells
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST5445 MARKET PLACE
662-1/7/153 (East side)
Offices. Early C20 facade to C15 fabric, formerly a wing to
the Bishop's Eye gatehouse (qv). Doulting ashlar stone, wing
rendered, Broughton Moor slates in diminishing courses, coped
gable to north, abutment to south. C17 style.
PLAN: front range has a staircase to the rear, left, then a
long wing to the right facing S over the green; there is
access also to the upper stages of the adjoining Bishop's Eye.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and basement, 3 bays. Moulded parapet
string and battlemented parapet. Cruciform ovolo-mould windows
with rectangular leading to all but lower bay 1, with
rectangular leaded panes, entrance in bay 1 having wide
2-panelled door with 2-pane fanlight in ovolo-mould opening to
match; stackhead to left features Diocesan arms, with lead
The wing has a Welsh slate roof between coped gables, and an
ashlar chimney. 2 storeys, seven bays. Sash windows of 8 panes
in plain openings, buttresses with offsets dressed with slate
between bays 2 and 3 and bays 4 and 5. Worn oval niche high in
otherwise plain east gable.
INTERIOR: the ground floor front room has a very large stone
fireplace with moulded 4-centred arch and C18 surround, and
panelling; one cupboard door has a bolection mould architrave.
The C17 dog-leg staircase has a solid string, splat balusters
and square newel; to the right on this floor is access to a
spiral stair in the gatehouse. The first floor principal room
has a large stone fireplace with moulded 4-centred arch plus
bolection mould surround, 2 doorways with 4-centred arches, a
former 4-light (now 2) ovolo-mould casement with stanchion
bars, and 2 deep embrasures. There are some late C17 3-panel
doors. The basement has a stone floor and central beam, and
the roof structure is a C19 queen-post with straps.
The rear wing is plainly detailed; the roof has a series of
pegged collar trusses.
A photograph of 1930 shows the front to the Market Place with
8-pane sashes, and a full-width stopped drip-course.
(Howell C: Wells in Old Photographs: Gloucester: 1989-: 23).
Listing NGR: ST5507345799
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings