This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.2097 / 51°12'35"N
Longitude: -2.6447 / 2°38'40"W
OS Eastings: 355059
OS Northings: 145812
OS Grid: ST550458
Mapcode National: GBR MN.43RB
Mapcode Global: VH89S.3VPH
Entry Name: Penniless Porch
Listing Date: 12 November 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1383024
English Heritage Legacy ID: 483442
Location: Wells, Mendip, Somerset, BA5
Civil Parish: Wells
Built-Up Area: Wells
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST5445 MARKET PLACE
662-1/7/156 (East side)
12/11/53 Penniless Porch
Gateway to Cathedral Green. c1450, built by Bishop Bekynton.
Doulting ashlar stone, with lead roof. The upper floors
communicate with and are used by the occupants of No.16 (qv).
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys, single bay, exposed on west and north
sides only. Plinth, moulded strings between floors and under
battlemented parapet, octagonal south-west corner turret. West
face has 4-centre arch with rosettes set in mouldings, carved
spandrels with letter TB (for Thomas Bekynton) interwoven with
foliage; first floor has two windows set slightly proud, a
double-and a single-light, with cinquefoil cusping to ogee
tracery under flat heads, and between them a carved angel
figure bearing a coat of arms, further shields in cusped
recesses under windows; second floor panelled, with two
2-light windows with blank underpanels, with worn statue
niches between them and to either side.
The north face has a plainer 4-centre arch with arched label,
a corbelled panelled feature in the northwest corner at first
floor level and a double-ogee arched statue recess to the
left, otherwise the two upper floors rough-rendered and plain,
with string and battlemented parapet, angled buttress to
north-east corner, and rendered lean-to building set in front
of the main east building.
In the S wall are two doorways, one plain 4-centred, the other
a late C18 pedimented elaborate lierne vault.
INTERIOR: there is a single room at each upper level. The
first floor has C17 panelling with pilasters, including
panelling to seats in window embrasures, and a bolection-mould
fireplace to the E. In the SE corner, behind a C17 door in a
4-centred arch is a recess, possibly a former garderobe. The
spiral stair in the SW corner has stone treads to the lower
flight, but wood treads to the upper flight. The upper room
has a 2-bay arch-braced roof with wind-bracing. On the S side
are very large moulded brackets or corbels, and a small cusped
HISTORICAL NOTE: the porch is said to be so named as it was
the spot where beggars normally sought alms; a stone bench
runs along the E wall.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: North Somerset and
Bristol: London: 1958-: 311).
Listing NGR: ST5505945811
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings