This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.2097 / 51°12'34"N
Longitude: -2.645 / 2°38'41"W
OS Eastings: 355041
OS Northings: 145807
OS Grid: ST550458
Mapcode National: GBR MN.43Q7
Mapcode Global: VH89S.3VKJ
Entry Name: 21, Market Place
Listing Date: 12 November 1953
Last Amended: 31 May 2000
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1383021
English Heritage Legacy ID: 483439
Location: Wells, Mendip, Somerset, BA5
Civil Parish: Wells
Built-Up Area: Wells
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST5445 MARKET PLACE
662-1/7/159 (North side)
(Formerly Listed as:
House with shop. c1453, built as part of the "New Works" by
Bishop Bekynton, modified in C19. Ashlar stonework,
colourwashed, Welsh slate roof behind parapet, brick chimney
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys with attic, single wide bay. Ground floor
has very fine mid C19 projecting shop front (shared with No.23
(qv)), probably C19 of which the stallrisers have ornamental
cast-iron vents, ornamented panelled pilasters with console
brackets on left, 2-light display window with ornamental
column mullions and rounded top corners, glazed doorway to
right in angled recess, under semicircular ornamentally glazed
fanlight, with large C19 lantern over, shallow fascia with
shopblind. Upper floors have a wide shallow canted bay window
to full height of parapet, incorporating sash windows of
24+36+24 panes to first floor and 16+24+16 panes to second
floor. Medieval string course broken by bay. Small flat roofed
dormer behind parapet, flagmast behind parapet to left. Stack
to right, on raised coped verge.
Rear elevation has one small pointed-arched window, and two
ovolo-mould stone mullioned windows, one to ground floor being
a 6-light, the other a 3-light to first floor, also the former
offset for a chimney breast, now capped.
INTERIOR: ground floor has 6-compartment ceiling with moulded
beams, an C18 part dado rail, and other C18 features, some
possibly imported. In the E part wall an elliptical arched
recess. C20 stair to both floors; first floor has front room
with 2-compartment ceiling with moulded beams.
Second floor has a timber and plaster partition to the W party
wall. Medieval roof in 2 bays, with arch-braced collar
trusses, but the collar removed from centre truss, and later
tie set lower, chamfered windbraces, and 2 purlins.
In the rear wall a single-light C17 ovolo-mould casement with
3 vertical stanchions, and a connecting door to No.23 (qv).
The front part of the shop said to have vaulted cellar.
Part of an outstanding late medieval planned urban group.
(Buildings of England: Pevsner N: North Somerset and Bristol:
London: 1958-: 328).
Listing NGR: ST5504145807
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings