This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.5477 / 52°32'51"N
Longitude: -2.6557 / 2°39'20"W
OS Eastings: 355635
OS Northings: 294634
OS Grid: SO556946
Mapcode National: GBR BN.DNWF
Mapcode Global: VH83C.X7F7
Plus Code: 9C4VG8XV+3P
Entry Name: Lutwyche Hall
Listing Date: 12 November 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1383378
English Heritage Legacy ID: 483796
Location: Rushbury, Shropshire, TF13
Civil Parish: Rushbury
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Rushbury
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
SO59SE Lutwyche Hall
House, then school, now house. Dated 1587. For Judge Edward
Lutwyche. Mid C18 extension. Mid C19 remodelling and
extensions, dated 1859, by S Pountney Smith, restored c1989.
MATERIALS: brick, with ashlar dressings to quoins, moulded
storey bands, mullion and transom windows with moulded
surrounds, moulded cornice, gable copings with ball finials,
balustraded parapets with corner finials; leaded lights
throughout. Plain-tile roofs, hipped to lower wing, with coped
gables. Large lateral integral brick ridge stacks with
connected diagonal spur-moulded shafts with oversailing caps.
PLAN: E-shaped, but courtyards between arms filled by late C19
EXTERIOR: main block is 3-storey and side wings 2-storey and
attic. South-east front is a 3-storey, 5-window range. C19
central infilling extension comprising recessed entrance porch
with ornate Jacobean-style 2-storey ashlar door surround
incorporating oriel window and ornate cresting, all set under
shaped gable flanked by advanced pavilions of 3 storeys with
ornate balustrades. Main flanking gables have 2 projecting
wings with 2-storey bay windows with ornate balusters.
Rear: mirrors the south-east front except that the C19
infilling extension projects with a 2-storey hipped wing with
projecting 2-storey bay window on this extension instead of
the main flanking gables. South-west side: 2-storey, 5-window
front with second and fourth bays advanced and rising into
third storey with gables projecting past eaves. Central bay
with projecting single-storey bay window.
North-east side covered by 2-storey extension wing; 7-window
front of projecting single window bay to left, and 2 window
bays to right in the same style as the main block, then a
recessed 4-window link of plain brick segmental arched
casements. The rear of extension wing is an 8-window range of
casements in segmental-arched openings.
INTERIOR: good restored C18 plasterwork in hall and late C16
panelling in dining room. Mid C18 staircase.
Listing NGR: SO5563594634
Other nearby listed buildings