This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.4797 / 52°28'46"N
Longitude: -2.6535 / 2°39'12"W
OS Eastings: 355710
OS Northings: 287060
OS Grid: SO557870
Mapcode National: GBR BN.JX0M
Mapcode Global: VH83K.YXJZ
Plus Code: 9C4VF8HW+VH
Entry Name: Church of St Catherine
Listing Date: 12 November 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1383393
English Heritage Legacy ID: 483811
Location: Abdon and Heath, Shropshire, SY7
Civil Parish: Abdon
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Tugford
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
SO58NE Church of St Catherine
Church. C12 nave, C14 chancel and C14 west tower with early
C18 rebuilt upper stages. Sandstone rubble partly rendered and
with ashlar dressings, coursed rubble upper stage of tower.
Plain-tile roof with ashlar coped gable and gutterless
rendered deep eaves soffit, tiled pyramid tower roof with
PLAN: plan of integral chancel and nave with west tower and
EXTERIOR: chancel with diagonal corner buttresses and string
course. Decorated 3-light pointed east window with reticulated
tracery. North wall with 3 broad arched recesses, 2 with
cusped decoration. South wall with single arched recess
mirroring the opposing north wall recess. Decorated 2-light
window with trefoil vesica to north and south walls. Single
lancet on north side to right. Small blocked doorway on south
with tympanum with carved low-relief semicircular cable and
Nave: north wall with blocked and rendered round headed
doorway, C12 round-headed lancet, with, to left, a Decorated
pointed window of twin cusped lancets and trefoil over. South
wall with Decorated window to right mirroring that in the
north wall; 2 chamfered blocked openings, 2 Decorated broad
cusped lancets flanking C13 buttress; late C12 south doorway
of moulded round-headed arch, with keel and lozenge pattern
outer arch-ring, deep moulded abaci, filleted shafts with
capitals with undercut foliage to left and scallop with
rosette to right, label stops with hoodmould missing. Covered
with simple C19 tiled gabled porch.
Tower: 3 stages with clasping buttresses; lancet on 3 faces of
lower stages except for restored pointed west doorway; twin
bell-openings with round-headed arches and keyblocks on all
faces of upper stage; battlemented parapets. Upper stage of
west face dated 1720.
INTERIOR: single moulded tie beam visible in otherwise
plastered interior. Pointed tower arch. Early C18 communion
rails with turned balusters and inscription `TITUS
WATUS-1716-CLARK GAVE THIS REAILE'. 2 small shiela-na-gigs
each side of south door. Late C12 or C13 chalice font with
16-sided fluted panelled bowl set on a cable mould and a
cylindrical stem. Gothick-style panelled front to west gallery
(An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire:
Cranage D H S: 1895-).
Listing NGR: SO5571087060
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings