History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lacon Childe School

A Grade II Listed Building in Cleobury Mortimer, Shropshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3802 / 52°22'48"N

Longitude: -2.4805 / 2°28'49"W

OS Eastings: 367387

OS Northings: 275900

OS Grid: SO673759

Mapcode National: GBR BW.R420

Mapcode Global: VH847.YFHQ

Entry Name: Lacon Childe School

Listing Date: 12 November 1954

Last Amended: 29 February 2000

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1383461

English Heritage Legacy ID: 483879

Location: Cleobury Mortimer, Shropshire, DY14

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Cleobury Mortimer

Built-Up Area: Cleobury Mortimer

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Cleobury Mortimer

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Cleobury Mortimer

Listing Text


CLEOBURY MORTIMER

SO6775 CHURCH STREET
582-1/13/53 (North side)
12/11/54 Lacon Childe School
(Formerly Listed as:
CHURCH STREET
(North side)
The School (old part only))

GV II

School. Dated 1740, c1890 extensions, c1900 additions. Stone
rubble with ashlar facade and cornice. Hipped plain-tiled
roof. Plain brick ridge stacks. Simple rectangular plan with
late C19 set-back flanking wings and extensive C20 ranges to
rear.
EXTERIOR: 2-storey and attic. 5-window range of 6/6 sashes
with projecting keyblocks to south, all restored except for
ground-floor right. Central doorcase with rosette architrave
surmounted by fascia and broken pediment with apex crest,
6-panelled door with top panels glazed. 3 tiled gabled
dormers, central one restored, with 2-light casements.
Octagonal open wood bell turret with cupola roof with ball
finial and weather-vane.
To left side is single-storey stone gabled flanking wing of
c1890, known as the Baldwyn-Childe Dining Hall.
Doorcase fascia inscription reads: `Sir Lacon William Childe
of Kinlet, Knight, by his will endowed this school, the
building was erected in 1740'.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
School re-founded 1835 as a free school for 20 boarders with
house for headmaster. It became a private school in 1890, sold
to Local Education Authority in 1935.


Listing NGR: SO6738775900

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.