This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.3808 / 52°22'51"N
Longitude: -2.4816 / 2°28'53"W
OS Eastings: 367312
OS Northings: 275976
OS Grid: SO673759
Mapcode National: GBR BW.R3RQ
Mapcode Global: VH847.XFX6
Entry Name: Old School
Listing Date: 28 October 1969
Last Amended: 29 February 2000
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1383506
English Heritage Legacy ID: 483936
Location: Cleobury Mortimer, Shropshire, DY14
Civil Parish: Cleobury Mortimer
Built-Up Area: Cleobury Mortimer
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Cleobury Mortimer
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
SO6775 VIOLS WALK
582-1/13/98 Old School
(Formerly Listed as:
County Primary School)
School, now house and 3 flats. 1863 with 1893 extension. By GE
Street. Coursed stone rubble with ashlar dressings, buff
coloured brick extension. Slate roofs with ornamental clay
ridge and ashlar coped gables with fleur-de-lys profiled
ridge-roll. Projecting stone eaves chimneys with ashlar
offsets, with ashlar shaft to left and later brick shaft to
centre and shaft missing to right.
PLAN: plan of main central range with cross wing each end and
parallel rear wing. Flats located in former single-storey
accommodation to left with house in original 2-storey range to
EXTERIOR: south front with 3 gables to central range each with
tall mullion and transom windows with pointed head with foiled
tracery and hoodmould. Stack dividing gables at centre left,
projecting lean-to entrance porch to left with depressed
arched opening. Projecting cross wing gable to left with tall
pointed 3-light window with foiled intersecting tracery and
Cross wing gable to right with 4/4 and 8/8 sash at first floor
over 10/10 sash at ground-floor level, each with chamfered
stone lintel with relieving arch over, partly covered to left
with turret with conical roof, curved mullion and transom
window at first-floor level over curved pointed arched
Right return side: stone stack to left, and sashes in former
mullioned window position under raised dormer window to right.
Left return side: stone stack to right, with 2-light stone
mullion window with cusped lancet head infill with chamfered
stone lintel to left. To far left is brick extension wing with
gabled side incorporating stepped triple lancet window with
multi-pane casement glazing with date plaque over.
Rear: to right is north gable end of brick extension with
pointed arched window at high level. To centre is parallel
wing with 3 stone mullion and transom windows and pointed
arched doorway with stone mullion window over, with gable end
to right with trefoil over 4-light mullion and transom windows
with cusped top-lights. To left is cross wing gable end with
10/10 sash with chamfered stone lintel at first floor and
lean-to extensions below.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
Listing NGR: SO6731375971
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings