This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.3475 / 52°20'50"N
Longitude: -2.5005 / 2°30'1"W
OS Eastings: 366000
OS Northings: 272274
OS Grid: SO660722
Mapcode National: GBR BV.TC3G
Mapcode Global: VH84F.L8X8
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 12 November 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1383573
English Heritage Legacy ID: 484005
Location: Neen Sollars, Shropshire, DY14
Civil Parish: Neen Sollars
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Neen Sollars with Milson
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
SO67SE Church of All Saints
Church. Late C13 and C14 with 1859 restoration and chancel
rebuild. Stone rubble with ashlar dressings. Plain-tile roofs
with ornamental ridges, ashlar-coped gable to chancel, partly
tiled and partly shingled spire.
PLAN: cruciform plan with chancel, north and south transepts
and nave with south porch, all radiating from central crossing
tower surmounted by broach spire.
EXTERIOR: chancel with Decorated-style east window of 3 cusped
lancets with trefoils and cinquefoil. C19 south window of
triple cusped lancets. C19 diagonal buttresses.
North transept: single cusped lancets in east wall and at high
level in north wall. North door with ogee-chamfered pointed
arch. South transept: south wall with restored 2-light window
with quatrefoil and hoodmould. Blocked cusped lancet to west.
Nave: broad cusped lancet to north. West window similar to
south window of transept. Broad cusped lancet to right on
south wall and south door with porch to left. South door is
plain with C19 south porch which incorporates earlier trussed
oak framing. Flat buttresses on west corners.
Tower: cusped lancets on east and south faces. Tower with
pyramid tiled roof surmounted with shingled broach spire.
Timbered louvred lucarnes with cusped heads on each face at
foot of spire.
INTERIOR: chancel with 2-bay roof with restored painted
arch-braced collared rafter roof with central truss with
arch-braced principals. C19 stencilled plaster decoration and
painted reredos. Crossing: panelled flat ceiling set between
pointed arches each chamfered with plain abacus with roll
moulding on 5-sided pillars.
North transept: trussed-rafter roof of 7 cants formed with
collar, arched braced rafters and ashlaring. South transept
and nave with restored scissor-truss roofs.
Spire: central mast, hip-rafters, spire hip-rafters with
struts, all of probable C14 date, with C18 repairs.
South transept contains the Conyngesby monument: alabaster
canopied tomb to Humfrey Conyngesby, dated 1624, with central
reclining figure in armour. Below are 2 panels of trophies of
arms, the edge of the canopy arch decorated with red and blue
alternate flowers, above are shields of arms and supporters
surmounted by a figure of a coney. Arch spandrels have
low-relief figures, pillars each side with capitals of mixed
palms and Corinthian foliage, entablature with cherub's head,
and surmounted by allegorical female figures.
Listing NGR: SO6600072274
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings