This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.2814 / 54°16'52"N
Longitude: -2.3629 / 2°21'46"W
OS Eastings: 376470
OS Northings: 487364
OS Grid: SD764873
Mapcode National: GBR CLYY.70
Mapcode Global: WH94D.PN06
Entry Name: Building (Former Workers Barracks) Approximately 100 Metres South South East of Dent Railway Station
Listing Date: 10 January 1991
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1383849
English Heritage Legacy ID: 484281
Location: Dent, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA10
District: South Lakeland
Civil Parish: Dent
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Dent with Cowgill
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
162-1/12/48 (North side)
10/01/91 Building (former workers' barracks)
approx. 100m SSE of Dent Railway
Former railway navvies' barracks. Late 1860s (the Settle and
Carlisle branch of the Midland Railway was under construction
between 1866 and 1875). Mixed random rubble with remains of
whitewash, sandstone quoins and dressings, slate roof with
chimneys of blue engineering brick. Rectangular single-depth
plan on north-south axis facing track to east, in 2 halves,
the northern half divided between an office and a store and
the southern half an open navvies' barrack room with a central
EXTERIOR: one low storey, 2:2 windows: the barracks room to
the left with a central doorway flanked by windows and the
other half with 2 windows flanked by 2 doorways. The doorways
are square-headed and full-height, with chamfered lintels
painted red and board doors, and the windows are oblong with
red sandstone quoining to the jambs, and chamfered sills and
lintels (the lintels painted red) and 8-pane fixed glazing.
Each half has a ridge chimney in the centre. The south gable
wall has a window like those at the front.
INTERIOR: the barracks room has a massive rectangular
free-standing chimney stack in the centre, with iron bar
grates in the north and south ends; some remains of wooden
benches attached to the walls; a square window opening in the
partition wall to the office; and an unceiled common rafter
roof. A rare survival of navvy living quarters; other known
examples have been substantially altered.
Forms group with Old Station (qv) and Passenger Waiting Room
at Dent Station (qv), both approx. 150m north-west.
Listing NGR: SD7647087364
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings