This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.2785 / 54°16'42"N
Longitude: -2.4316 / 2°25'53"W
OS Eastings: 371994
OS Northings: 487070
OS Grid: SD719870
Mapcode National: GBR CLGZ.C1
Mapcode Global: WH94C.MQ9D
Entry Name: Scotchergill Farmhouse
Listing Date: 14 June 1984
Last Amended: 18 October 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1383935
English Heritage Legacy ID: 484367
Location: Dent, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA10
District: South Lakeland
Civil Parish: Dent
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Dent with Cowgill
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
162-1/11/138 (North side)
14/06/84 Scotchergill Farmhouse
(Formerly Listed as:
Scotchergill and barn to west)
Farmhouse with attached store (probably formerly house).
Probably late C17 (contains cupboard dated 1675), mostly
remodelled, with addition, in C19. Roughly coursed sandstone
rubble with quoins, the front of the main range roughcast and
painted; stone slate roof. T-plan formed by 2-unit main range
(remodelled in C19) on north-south axis with C17 outshut to
rear of northern unit and store continued at north end.
EXTERIOR: main range, 2 storeys and 3 windows, almost
symmetrical, has central doorway with pentice canopy, 4-pane
sash to left, coupled 4-pane sashes to right, three 4-pane
sashes above, and gable chimney to left. Earlier portion to
right, 2 higher storeys, has one 4-pane sash on each floor
close to the junction, blocked doorway to right of this, 2
windows to the right, the second smaller and now blocked
(perhaps a former fire-window); and gable chimneys. Rear:
prominent outshut of 2 low storeys has 3 former 2-light
mullioned windows with chamfered surrounds but lacking
mullions: one on each floor to the left and a stair-window to
the right, the upper with 12-pane fixed glazing and the others
with stone-slate drip-bands. Store to left has (inter alia) a
tall round-headed doorway and an altered square window above.
INTERIOR: housepart in 2nd bay has large built-in cupboard
with one large 2-panel door on butterfly hinges and above this
a small square carved door with raised lettering "MT 1675"
over a decorated diamond (perhaps a re-located spice cupboard
Listing NGR: SD7199487070
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings