History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Spice Gill Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Dent, Cumbria

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.2766 / 54°16'35"N

Longitude: -2.3878 / 2°23'15"W

OS Eastings: 374848

OS Northings: 486839

OS Grid: SD748868

Mapcode National: GBR CLRZ.VQ

Mapcode Global: WH94D.9R7W

Entry Name: Spice Gill Farmhouse

Listing Date: 14 June 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1383938

English Heritage Legacy ID: 484370

Location: Dent, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA10

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland

Civil Parish: Dent

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Dent with Cowgill

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Dent

Listing Text


DENT

SD78NW DENTDALE
162-1/11/141 (North side)
14/06/84 Spice Gill Farmhouse

GV II

Farmhouse. Dated 1678 on lintel of re-located doorway but
mostly c1860-70, incorporating rear wing which is late C17.
Main range of snecked rubble with quoins, stone slate roof;
rear wing of slobbered random rubble with stone slate roof.
Square plan composed of C19 double-fronted main range with C17
range forming rear wing to this and added full-height outshut
in rear angle.
EXTERIOR: the C19 front range, 2 storeys and 3 windows, almost
symmetrical, has a small gabled porch of stone slate slabs
protecting a shallow triangular-headed doorway which has a
moulded surround and lintel with an arched panel in the centre
with foliated decoration flanked by oblong panels with raised
lettering "IM:" "1678", and a C19 panelled door; 2 hornless
sashes with margin panes at ground floor and 3 similar but
smaller windows above, the heads of those at ground floor
flanked by small carved stones (possibly re-used terminals of
former hoodmoulds). Corniced gable chimneys. The C17 rear wing
(facing east) has a wide but low gabled porch abutting the
junction, a pair of square formerly 2-light mullioned windows
beyond this and a similar pair at 1st floor, all lacking the
mullions and now with 4-pane and 2-pane glazing respectively;
and a gable chimney.
INTERIOR: rear wing (now kitchen) has 2 chamfered axial beams
with original joists, and a C17 panelled door into the C19
addition.
HISTORICAL NOTE: C19 addition said to have been built for
engineer building Settle to Carlisle Railway.

Listing NGR: SD7484886839

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.