This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.3009 / 54°18'3"N
Longitude: -2.3914 / 2°23'29"W
OS Eastings: 374625
OS Northings: 489544
OS Grid: SD746895
Mapcode National: GBR CLRQ.20
Mapcode Global: WH94D.75H6
Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist
Listing Date: 14 June 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1384013
English Heritage Legacy ID: 484445
Location: Garsdale, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA10
District: South Lakeland
Civil Parish: Garsdale
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Sedbergh, Cautley and Garsdale
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
SD78NW HAWES ROAD
162-1/11/220 (North side)
14/06/84 Church of St John the Baptist
Church. Rebuilt 1860 (dated on rainwater head); restored.
Sandstone rubble brought to courses, with freestone dressings,
graduated slate roof. Early English style.
PLAN: nave with west bellcote, south porch, chancel and north
EXTERIOR: the 5-bay nave, with buttresses and a string-course,
has a gabled porch to the 1st bay, with a 2-centred arched
doorway and coped gable with an apex cross, and a simple
lancet in each of the other bays, with tinted geometrical
leaded glazing. Moulded cast-iron gutter on stone brackets,
and 2 downspouts with moulded rainwater hoppers dated "1860".
The west gable wall has 2 lancets, a trefoil above and between
them, and a 2-stage bellcote with 2 bells in the lower stage.
Small 1-bay chancel with triple-lancet east window; lean-to
vestry on north side.
INTERIOR: arch-braced queen-strut roof; Gothic-style pulpit;
Perpendicular-style choir screen to east bay of nave;
2-centred chancel arch. Various wall monuments, mostly C19,
including Thomas Dawson of Dandragarth (qv), d.1810, Edmund
Dawson "generosi", also of Dandragarth (d.1838); Rev. Edmund
Dawson, vicar of Alford, Lincs. (d.1852); and Rev.James Dawson
(d.1852) and his son James Edmund Dawson, MD. MCRS, LSA, (died
Listing NGR: SD7462589544
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings