History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Smithy Chapel to South East of Blades

A Grade II Listed Building in Garsdale, Cumbria

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.3005 / 54°18'1"N

Longitude: -2.3988 / 2°23'55"W

OS Eastings: 374141

OS Northings: 489500

OS Grid: SD741895

Mapcode National: GBR CLPQ.G5

Mapcode Global: WH94D.35YJ

Entry Name: Smithy Chapel to South East of Blades

Listing Date: 14 June 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1384050

English Heritage Legacy ID: 484482

Location: Garsdale, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA10

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland

Civil Parish: Garsdale

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Sedbergh, Cautley and Garsdale

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Dent

Listing Text


GARSDALE

SD78NW HAWES ROAD
162-1/11/257 (North side)
14/06/84 Smithy Chapel to south-east of
Blades

II

Also known as: Garsdale Methodist Chapel HAWES ROAD.
Methodist chapel. Dated 1830 on south gable but perhaps
earlier as this gable is an extension; slightly altered.
Coursed rubble with quoins, the west side rendered; stone
slate roof. Simple rectangular plan on north-south axis, gable
to road, with a short extension at this end. This extension is
2 low storeys but its gabled facade has only a tall
round-headed doorway in the centre, with rubble voussoirs and
C20 double doors, a square plaque above the doorway inscribed
"GARSDALE / METHODIST / CHAPEL / 1830" (probably re-cut), a
small square window at ground floor to the left, and a 2-flue
gable chimney. On the east side the main range has a large
25-pane window (the top 2 tiers apparently a tilting casement
opening), and a quoined vertical junction to the left; to the
left of which the extension has a 4-pane sash at ground floor
and 12-pane fixed window above. On the west side the main
range has a 16-pane sash, the extension has a 12-pane sash on
each floor. INTERIOR: simple benches, dais at north end with
pulpit.


Listing NGR: SD7414189500

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.