This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.3157 / 54°18'56"N
Longitude: -2.4436 / 2°26'37"W
OS Eastings: 371237
OS Northings: 491216
OS Grid: SD712912
Mapcode National: GBR CLCJ.RP
Mapcode Global: WH945.FSLC
Entry Name: Hind Keld East
Listing Date: 14 June 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1384027
English Heritage Legacy ID: 484459
Location: Garsdale, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA10
District: South Lakeland
Civil Parish: Garsdale
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Sedbergh, Cautley and Garsdale
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
SD79SW HAWES ROAD
162-1/7/234 (North side)
14/06/84 Hind Keld East
Farmhouse, now house. Probably early C18 (dated 1729 on side
of porch); altered. Coursed sandstone rubble with quoins,
remains of whitewash; stone slate roof. One-and-a-half depth
two-unit plan, on east-west axis facing south.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys and 3 windows, grouped 2:1. The ground
floor has a low gabled porch (below the steeply-pitched
water-tabling of a formerly higher gable), with a square
datestone lettered "B.H / 1729" built into the right-hand side
wall (presumably re-set); two 2-light windows to the left and
a 3-light window to the right, all with square-cut surrounds
and flat-faced mullions, and continuous stone slate
drip-courses. The 1st floor has similar fenestration, and the
2nd floor has 3 slightly smaller 2-light windows. Corbelled
chimneys at both gables, that to the left larger. Left gable
wall has through-stones and 2 inserted windows at ground
floor. Later barn attached to east end. The rear, 2-storeyed
under a catslide roof, has a doorway, a small blocked
segmental-headed window at 1st floor to the left, 2 inserted
windows on each floor, a corbelled chimney half way up the
east side, and 2 inserted skylights in the roof.
INTERIOR: former housepart to left (with inserted lateral
partition to make entrance passage) has 2 lateral beams;
parlour to right has 2 axial beams. Upper-cruck roof truss
carrying purlins made of re-used cruck timbers.
Forms group with West Hind Keld approx. 75m west (qv).
Listing NGR: SD7123791216
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings