History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lindsey Fold Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Garsdale, Cumbria

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.3134 / 54°18'48"N

Longitude: -2.439 / 2°26'20"W

OS Eastings: 371536

OS Northings: 490956

OS Grid: SD715909

Mapcode National: GBR CLDK.RJ

Mapcode Global: WH945.HVS4

Entry Name: Lindsey Fold Farmhouse

Listing Date: 18 October 1999

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1384031

English Heritage Legacy ID: 484463

Location: Garsdale, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA10

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland

Civil Parish: Garsdale

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Sedbergh, Cautley and Garsdale

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Sedbergh

Listing Text


GARSDALE

SD79SW HAWES ROAD
162-1/7/238 (North side (off))
Lindsey Fold Farmhouse

II

Farmhouse. Early C18 (on spice cupboard dated 1703); enlarged
and altered. Random rubble with quoins, the front and west
gable painted white, slate roof. L-shaped 2-unit plan plus
1-unit addition, and C19 outshut in rear angle.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, 2:1 windows. The original 2-unit range,
with a plinth, has the doorway in the centre with a
part-glazed door protected by a shallow C20 porch (the 2nd
replacement of a former tall gabled porch, the outline of
which is visible above); 2 sashed windows on each floor, all
with renewed surrounds, a chamfered 1-light fire-window to the
left at ground floor, and the outline of a blocked similar
window above this. Corbelled chimney at left gable, ridge
chimney at former gable to right. The addition to the right
has a doorway at ground floor and a window with an internal
wooden shutter above this. Rear: the outshut to the 2nd bay
has a chamfered 2-light mullioned stairwindow now lacking the
mullion, and its side wall has a small chamfered 1-light
window; a larger C19 outshut with C20 catslide roof fills the
rear angle with the original outshut.
INTERIOR: housepart to left, now with C19 wooden partition
forming entrance passage, has 2 lateral beams, one formerly a
smokehood bressumer and retaining the side bearers, and carved
spice-cupboard with raised lettering "N: 1703"; outshut
contains doglegged stone staircase and pantry with stone
shelves.

Listing NGR: SD7153690956

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.