History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Gregory (Vale of Lune Chapel)

A Grade II Listed Building in Sedbergh, Cumbria

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.324 / 54°19'26"N

Longitude: -2.5638 / 2°33'49"W

OS Eastings: 363425

OS Northings: 492194

OS Grid: SD634921

Mapcode National: GBR BLJF.QQ

Mapcode Global: WH943.LLB0

Entry Name: Church of St Gregory (Vale of Lune Chapel)

Listing Date: 15 March 1983

Last Amended: 18 October 1999

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1384060

English Heritage Legacy ID: 484492

Location: Sedbergh, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA10

County: Cumbria

Civil Parish: Sedbergh

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Sedbergh, Cautley and Garsdale

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Sedbergh

Listing Text


SEDBERGH

SD69SW A684, Marthwaite
162-1/5/371 (South side)
15/03/83 Church of St Gregory (Vale of Lune
Chapel)
(Formerly Listed as:
WEATHERCOCK, Marthwaite
Church of St Gregory (Vale of Lune
Chapel))

II

Chapel to Ingmire Hall Estate; now maintained by Redundant
Churches Fund. Built 1850 as a Mission Chapel; altered and
enlarged in 1907. Mixed random rubble with red sandstone
quoins, graduated slate roof with wooden and glazed lantern;
re-built gabled front and added porch of snecked rubble with
yellow sandstone dressings and quoins.
PLAN: small nave on north-south axis with north porch, south
chancel built as crosswing (i.e as one vessel with short
transepts).
EXTERIOR: the porch, dated 1907, has a small rectangular
window to the front, a lettered memorial plaque above this
(commemorating Florence Ann Upton Cottrell Dormer, d.1907), a
coped gable parapet with kneelers, and a doorway in its west
side with a gablet containing the Ingmire Hall cross. The main
gable has an ashlar bellcote clasped by coped gable parapets
with kneelers. The west side wall has 3 rectangular 1-light
windows with raised plain surrounds, and the gable of the wing
at the south end has a gabled extension to the centre, a
similar window either side and another above. The roof has a
long low lantern (its eaves at the level of the ridge), with 5
segmental-headed lights and oversailing bracketed eaves to a
swept hipped roof. (East side, abutting adjoining cottage, has
no windows.)
INTERIOR: panelled dado, chancel pews with carved ends and
windows with wooden architraves and elaborate stained glass,
mostly showing some Art Nouveau influence.


Listing NGR: SD6342592194

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.