History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Grammar School (Now the School Library)

A Grade II* Listed Building in Sedbergh, Cumbria

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.3227 / 54°19'21"N

Longitude: -2.5277 / 2°31'39"W

OS Eastings: 365775

OS Northings: 492030

OS Grid: SD657920

Mapcode National: GBR BLSG.K6

Mapcode Global: WH944.4ML0

Entry Name: The Old Grammar School (Now the School Library)

Listing Date: 16 March 1954

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1384071

English Heritage Legacy ID: 484503

Location: Sedbergh, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA10

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland

Civil Parish: Sedbergh

Built-Up Area: Sedbergh

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Sedbergh, Cautley and Garsdale

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Sedbergh

Listing Text


SEDBERGH

SD6592SE BACK LANE, Sedbergh Town
162-1/26/394 (South side)
16/03/54 The Old Grammar School (now the
School Library)

GV II*

Grammar school, now library. Dated 1716 on original doorway in
west front; altered in C19, internally remodelled in 1957-8 by
Sir Albert Richardson. Random rubble with lacing courses,
freestone quoins and dressings, stone slate roof. Rectangular
plan on east-west axis, with original entrance in west gable
end.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys. The gabled west front, with raised
rusticated quoins, a plain 1st-floor string-course carried
round and a band over the upper floor, gable copings with
kneelers and a corniced gable chimney. Round-headed doorway
(now blocked internally) with pilaster jambs, moulded imposts,
moulded head with keystone, double doors each with 2
bolection-moulded panels, and a fanlight with radiating
glazing bars. Doorway framed by a pilastered architrave which
has entablatures to the pilasters inscribed "17" (left) and
"16" (right), a triglyph frieze and a segmental pediment; and
in the centre of the upper floor a rectangular wall tablet
with moulded surround and cornice, containing a carved shield.
The 7-window north and south side walls, both very regular,
have round-headed windows on both floors, the lower much
taller then the upper, all with raised sills and pilastered
architraves with imposts and keystones, and all with renewed
wooden mullions and transoms, and small-paned leaded glazing.
Both sides have moulded gutters on curved metal brackets, and
the south side has one rainwater head between the 4th and 5th
windows. The east gable end, with gable copings and chimney
like the west end, has an ex situ C17 doorway and door.
INTERIOR: remodelled by lowering of ground floor and insertion
of galleries in this room; restored dog-legged staircase at
east end, with closed string, square newels with ball finials,
turned balusters and moulded handrail.


Listing NGR: SD6577492028

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.